User Research Manager
As a member of Zalando’s Voice of Customers team, the insights you surface will shape the future of Zalando’s customer experience. You ensure that bad ideas fail early – and you inspire colleagues to iterate good ideas into great solutions. For this, you will need to establish a research agenda, define project and product priorities and oversee all research efforts across products. In addition, you will consult researchers on the most suitable research methodologies for each context.
You will be leading a group of User Researchers and carry full personnel and development responsibilities for them. For this you will engage with the individual researchers to keep each one healthy and happy, curious and open, thriving and growing in their career.
Zalando’s product design teams employ an ever-evolving mix of traditional and cutting-edge user-centred methodologies, leveraging Lean UX practices, design thinking, as well as machine-learning and natural-language processing technologies. Researchers work closely with designers and product managers to build the right solutions. To be most effective, we build strong relationships with other internal teams. Together with market research, business intelligence, product analytics experts, and research scientists we ensure a holistic 360° understanding of customer needs and behaviours.
YOU ARE SETTING STANDARDS
As a User Research Manager, you will lead by example and raise the bar for impactful empathy.
- Impact. Influence all steps of the product development cycle across multiple products. Structure the research lifecycle, build methodological competencies and innovate our ways of working.
- Insights. Provide great answers to great questions. Challenge the team in finding solutions for the right problems. Follow up to make sure insights are acted on. Spread insights out beyond the core stakeholders to fuel innovation.
- Local empathy. Understand our users in all key markets so that Zalando products feel native to them.
- Vision. Be the voice of the customer. Develop and defend a point of view and understanding about our users, in order to influence decisions at a strategic level.
- Teaching. Coach, support and give constructive feedback to your colleagues. Train and empower designers and product managers to do solid research themselves. Give back to the larger design community by writing and speaking about your successes and failures on our journey to making Zalando the premiere place in Europe to do groundbreaking user research.
- Lead Coach and lead your directs. Enable their growth through continuous feedback, high challenge and high support.
To land this job you will show and explain research artifacts from various stages of the product development process that illustrate your proven ability to deliver actionable user insights.
- Planning. You shape the research agenda. You plan and execute a wide variety of studies independently - interviews, tests, surveys, workshops, etc. - across the entire product lifecycle.
- Methodology. You know when to do what - and why. You identify the key research questions, choose the best method, spot the right people to interview, lead interviews and play a key role in synthesizing and communicating insights.
- Prioritization. You balance high-quality research with short deadlines and highly iterative cycles.
- Collaboration. You work in multidisciplinary international teams.
- Communication. You communicate fluently in English and - ideally - at least one other European language.
- Leadership You have held the full spectrum of responsibility for leading people. You inspire and mentor junior and senior researchers.
- Peers. We have highly diverse and international, accomplished User Researchers and Designers that act as a Product Design Team to drive our products to the next level.
- Culture. A workplace where trust, empowerment, and feedback are valued; positive, inspiring working atmosphere. In our Design show & tell every second week, we foster knowledge sharing in our Product Design community.
- Development. We believe in a purpose-driven approach to motivating and developing people. Zalando helps you to grow to engage with great design communities all around the world. We offer mentoring, personal branding support and diverse career opportunities.
- Perks. Competitive salary; great shopping discount on a wide range of products on zalando.com; discounts from external partners; office in the heart of Berlin; public transport discounts; relocation assistance for internationals; municipality services; flexible working times; family service and parent & child rooms; and volunteering time off; diverse sports and health offerings.
Zalando is Europe’s leading online platform for fashion, connecting customers, brands and partners across 17 markets. We drive digital solutions for fashion, logistics, advertising and research, bringing head-to-toe fashion to more than 23 million active customers through diverse skill-sets, interests and languages our teams choose to use.