Rebag, the ultimate destination for buying and selling the most coveted designer handbags and accessories, is an e-commerce company reimagining the role of luxury in the secondary market. Rebag has opened a world of endless access to luxury, with a unique business model that puts the seller first, offers upfront payment, and makes the resale experience smooth and clutter-free.
Since its inception, Rebag has catered to a rapidly growing segment of consumers who are exploring ownership of luxury goods in a sustainable and affordable way. The company operates online and in stores, with locations in Los Angeles, New York and Miami. Founded in 2014 by a team out of Harvard Business School, Rebag is backed by prestigious venture capital investors including General Catalyst, Novator, Crosslink and FJLabs, and has raised $68m in funding to date. In 2020, Rebag was named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies. Rebag has been featured in the New York Times, Business of Fashion, VOGUE, TechCrunch and more.
As the Controller, you will lead the formulation of internal controls and policies, manage monthly and annual closing, work with FP&A to initiate a bottoms-up budgeting process, develop an operational cost-management strategy, and work with department leads to create tools to monitor these costs against the budget in real-time. The Controller will be responsible for building and scaling our accounting team to grow in tandem with the rapid expansion of our business. This role reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Lead and manage all aspects of accounting management both internally and through third-party vendors, with the goal of bringing all accounting functions in-house
- Manage the design and implementation of accounting and financial reporting systems, and continually assess systems to meet the company’s growth needs
- Establish a system for forecasting, tracking, and reporting all costs including variable and fixed; bridging monthly actuals to budget and forecast
- Preparation of financial statements in compliance with GAAP; manage regular cadence of financial reporting to senior management, board, and lenders
- Own financial close process, including journal entries, reconciliations, intercompany accounting, and consolidation
- Develop team roadmaps for implementation and improvement of processes & internal controls
- Oversee annual audit and manage relationship with external auditors
- Own tax compliance, including sales tax and international transfer pricing
- Remain current on industry-specific accounting standards, guidance, and trends, performing analysis as needed
- 8+ years of professional accounting experience, preferably in the retail/luxury/ecommerce or related space
- Strong technical accounting background with a CPA license
- Extensive experience in the design and implementation of new accounting systems and processes, including implementation and management of ERP software systems
- Ownership mentality, highly organized, detail-oriented, and ability to work independently and with cross-functional teams
- Ability and willingness to quickly and efficiently adapt in a rapidly changing start-up environment