Performance Wear Design Consultant (Freelance)
A-Cold-Wall* are seeking a skilled and highly motivated Performance Wear Design Consultant for a seasonal freelance project exploring cutting edge technologies at the crossroads of tailoring and activewear.
The successful candidate will be expected to deliver the highest calibre of work, taking products from conception through proto sampling to SMS. This will require an exceptional design skill set as well as the passion and drive to create innovative, market leading products.
This role will report to the Head of Product.
- Actively generating fresh ideas to explore and pitch to the Founder & Creative Director in order to evaluate wearer benefit & manufacturability.
- Create detailed & accurate 2D cad illustrations to progress designs through the full development & manufacturing process.
- Create colour, material and trim direction for new seasons.
- Bring a cutting-edge perspective on apparel techniques, materials & construction methods.
- Support the Sourcing team with technical guidance in reducing costs throughout the product ranges.
- Work with the Product Development team before fittings start, to carry out ‘Risk Assessments’ on all product categories to highlight potential problems and to ensure all fabrics and trimmings are suitable for their end use.
- Incorporate wholesale and end-consumer feedback in relentless pursuit to deliver the best product available in the sports-meets-fashion market.
- Technology description of tech packs
- The drive to create products that combine performance, quality and style at the highest level, within the constraints of what can be achieved with existing materials and manufacturing techniques.
- Technical knowledge of sportswear apparel including patterns, construction and fit.
- Experience working with (ideally in) factories and a detailed understanding of manufacturing techniques.
- An accomplished midlevel designer with 5-8 years industry experience.
- Ability to work under pressure and to handle multiple projects.
- Experience working with material suppliers to identify & develop new materials.
- A strong point of view on design theory, broad awareness of art, performance-wear trends.
- Experience generating project timelines and ability to see both creative and commercial mindsets to ensure products drive towards solutions that balance both requirements
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to problem solve.
- Fully literate in Adobe Creative Suite.
- A relevant design qualification to BA (Hons) standard or equivalent.