Public Relations Manager (Remote, Germany, ROE)
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants around the globe to enable entrepreneurship and make commerce better for everyone, everywhere. We power more than 1,000,000 businesses worldwide including Allbirds, Gymshark, PepsiCo, JB Hi-Fi, and many more.
We're looking for an engaged, dynamic, and inquisitive person to join our global PR team in the Europe region. As the PR Manager for Europe, you will work closely with our country managers and our international team, with a particular focus on Germany and our selected Europe markets, including the Netherlands and Sweden. You will help amplify our company narrative across Germany and Europe and further our mission to make commerce better for everyone everywhere. We want someone who is eager to shape the global story of Shopify with creative and impactful communications and a passion for building for the long term. This role will report directly to the Senior Communications Lead for International on Shopify’s global PR team, based in the U.K.
- Trusted media relationships with key business, tech and trade outlets in Germany.
- Experience working across European markets, but with a focus on Germany.
- Practical and sustained experience in PR and communications rolesA strategic approach to German and European communications and the ability to take on complex communications initiatives, either agency-side or in-house.
- The ability to collaborate with many teams and executives to build effective localized product messaging, simplify highly technical topics, and develop compelling narratives to showcase them.
- The sensitivity to be highly aligned with all relevant product and country leads, understanding how new offerings impact Shopify’s merchants in Germany and other markets.
- A keen news antennae that can identify and create news opportunities to land key stories in targeted media outlets.
- The confidence to act in an agile manner, and make great decisions quickly.
- Excellent writing, editing, speaking/presentation skills, and a passion for storytelling.
- The ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment that’s always changing and experience working remotely and autonomously.
- The ability to work full-time remotely from home as this role is a remote position, and across International time-zones.
- Down the line there may be international travel throughout Europe and Canada, but this is expected to be limited.
- Spoken and written proficiency in English and German is essential.
It would be nice if you had:
- A full understanding of the retail, tech and business media landscape in our Europe markets, including: national print outlets, broadcast, blogs, radio, trade magazines, podcasts and moreHandling product PR or communications at a tech company.
- Examples of developing thought-leadership activities, such as Op-Eds and surveys, and corporate communications campaigns.
- Developing communications around events.
- Working at management level at an agency with experience working with tech clients.
- Building and extending Shopify’s PR strategy across key European markets.
- Develop, execute, review, and report on comprehensive targeted Europe communications campaigns.
- Experience in launching businesses and brands in news markets is a plus.
- Work closely with the global communications team, as well as in-market and marketing teams to brainstorm unique story angles.
- Train and provide counsel to company executives and spokespeople for media interviews, presentations, events and more.
- Work closely with our country managers and product teams to identify, plan, and deliver communications activities to support product launches, partnerships and more locally.
- Ensure communications are consistent and leverage all opportunities to move Shopify's brand forwardManage multiple in-market agencies.
- The interview process for this position will be handled 100% remotely with interviews being conducted over video with Talent Acquisition, hiring manager and internal stakeholders.
- A short written exercise will be required for shortlisted candidates.