Freelance Knitwear Designer
The Freelance Designer is a strategic partner responsible for developing new RTW capsule collections that incorporate the brand aesthetics of both MZ Wallace and capsule partners. This position is a critical link between the Creative Directors and Production team. This is a freelance role on a project basis reporting to the company Cofounders.
- Concept, develop, and communicate design, detailing, and fit specifications.
- Create technical sketches, illustrations, and style information.
- Support and collaborate with factory technical teams on product and fit development.
- Ensure garments meet fit, comfort, and constructions goals.
- Strong knowledge in cut-and-sew garment construction.
- Good eye for proportion and design aesthetic.
- Attention to detail and strong presentation skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible and proactive with experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to quickly understand and synthesize brand DNA and aesthetics, merchandising goals, and target customers.
- Must be available for in-person meetings in New York.
MZ Wallace is an accessories company launched in 2000 by Monica Zwirner and Lucy Wallace Eustice, two native New Yorkers. From the beginning, their aim was to use great design and timeless style to create essential accessories that work for modern life. MZ Wallace accessories offer sophistication through both heritage and seasonal collections, and solution-driven style through innovative details, like lightweight materials and intuitively-placed pockets. Today Monica and Lucy remain true to their original philosophy—great design never goes out of style. Our company culture is formed by our core values of excellence, learning, ownership, teamwork, results, and enjoyment. They guide us in creating a fun and fulfilling environment that produces great products for our customers and great opportunities for our team.