Assistant Buyer - Non-Apparel
The purpose of the Assistant Buyer is to assist in the strategic execution of the overall buying strategy for category, driving performance and contributing to growth across this category. The AB will support in developing the seasonal strategy for the department, apply their analytical skills to identify opportunities across all channels and initiate trading actions to maximise them, and maintain the best possible relationships with our suppliers in order to drive sales and maximise profitability.
- Assist the Buyer in managing key data and information for the department including buy sheets, buy reports, and contributing to the seasonal buy presentations.
- Line managing the Buying Administration Assistant (BAA) taking accountability for their performance and supporting their development, as well as offering strong leadership.
- Assisting the Buyer in developing the seasonal strategy for the department, identifying key opportunities and tactical plans to deliver on the growth targets.
- Maintain awareness of the overall Buying team strategy, ensuring the category’s strategy is cohesive and aligned to the wider Buying department and consistent with the overall vision.
- Attend market with the Buyer, assisting in the selection process and ensuring a smooth appointment or facilitating appointments independently of the Buyer when required.
- Working collaboratively with the Merchandising team to agree and deliver Open to buy, ensuring growth and margin targets are achieved and maintain continuous dialogue at all points during the season to ensure the buying team are supported with the right data and analysis of data, in order to support commercial trading decisions.
- Analyse sales performance across all channels in order to inform and develop the buying plan by channel, by product category, and by brand to deliver agreed targets.
- Monitor sell-throughs, proposing and executing trading actions in order to improve sales performance and reduce risk to the business.
- Prepare and deliver important information concerning the performance of the department in the weekly trade meeting, suggesting actions to improve performance and gaining buy-in from stakeholders across the business who can drive tactical plans to impact trade.
- Work collaboratively with the Merchandising team to action and manage markdowns in order to maximize margin and optimize sell through.
- Maintain strong relationships and continuous contact with suppliers, negotiating with confidence to ensure a positive stock and trading position.
- Proactively research and seek out new designers, proposing brand suggestions to the Buyers, helping Browns to assert itself as an incubator for emerging designers with a real point of difference.
- Work collaboratively with the Retail Management team in order to contribute to the stores’ commercial performance, proactively seeking client feedback.
- Work collaboratively with the E-Commerce and Brand Engagement teams to best prepare the business to develop initiatives to support particular brands, categories, products, ensuring your category has visibility and voice.
- Participate in key brand events as required.
Skills & Experience:
- Previous experience in a Buying Department, preferably with a luxury multichannel environment.
- Strong leadership and people development skills.
- Influencing and negotiating skills.
- Flexible in nature and can adapt to change.
- Good eye for product demonstrating excellent commercial awareness in the luxury market.
- Strong organisation skills - ability to plan and prioritise tasks to meet deadlines.
- Strong numerical and analytical skills.
- Ability to bring ideas to the table in relation to product and brand mix.
- Comfortable to build relationships at all levels with suppliers and internal stakeholders.
- Eagerness to learn and develop a career within the Buying function at Browns.
We offer a competitive base salary, bonus, equity within the Farfetch group, generous discount on Browns (50%) and Farfetch (25%), plus up to 25 day holidays (plus bank holidays). Funded by Browns, you’ll be automatically enrolled into our schemes for Life Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance and our Pension Scheme. You’ll also be given the choice between Browns-funded Private Insurance or a monthly £50 benefit allowance to put towards things like Cycle to Work, ClassPass, Dental Insurance, Employee Clothing Account, Employee Saving’s Isa’s or Season Ticket Loan.