Head of Wovens - Womenswear Design
Founded in 1970, Jigsaw was the first premium fashion brand on the high street. Since then, the company has expanded worldwide to work with the finest mills, cutting edge photographers, up-and-coming models, and renowned architects. But the search for the best in the industry never stops. As our journey continues, we're looking for passionate and talented people to learn about Style & Truth: a set of values that sets us apart from the rest of the high street, a belief that everyone should feel empowered to embrace their own style, be true to themselves, and not slavishly follow the fashion world. This means putting style before trends and truth before hype. Join the Jigsaw journey.
We’re looking for a Head of Wovens to join our team.
JOB TITLE : Head of Wovens
REPORTS TO: Creative Director
Based in London at the head office, four teams are instrumental in creating the Jigsaw product:
- Sourcing, Development & Production
- Merchandise & Planning
These four teams work together in close daily collaboration creating original, high-end quality products for the global consumer base.
The Head of Wovens is responsible for leading the Wovens design team in the end to end design process; Under the mentorship & partnership of the Creative Director, they create and develop the line from inception of ideas to production of garments. They understand the Jigsaw brand essence, ethos and positioning and lead the Woven’s design team to deliver inspiring commercial product for the customer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for overseeing the day to day of the design team to execute seasonal styles that reflect Jigsaw’s Design ethos. Mentor and inspire the design team with clear reference points in terms of understanding product storytelling, design and construction.
- Oversee a direct team of 2 designers, and a print co-ordinator, leading, mentoring and taking accountability for their output - the role is a balance of leading and designing, whilst ensuring design meets all its seasonal critical path deadlines in this area.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of the market, supplier base, competitors and customer requirements for all products within the business area. Is tuned in to our customers current and future needs translating knowledge of emerging trends to drive margin and profit.
- Responsible for understanding the impact of your decisions on timelines and margins and help install discipline to the designers on the team. You are accountable for the performance of your category.
- Ensure creative and strategic vision is implemented by providing high-level guidance to the team through directing the design process and meeting creative and commercial KPIs.
- Creating structure and processes for the design team, managing the workflow and workload of the team seasonally, allocating resources and support where needed.
- Own design skills are outstanding, with the ability to guide, evaluate, and if necessary, redirect creative development; happy to get involved with hands–on design.
- Responsible for producing original designs which are clearly and precisely drawn, well thought through inside and outside in terms of detail, finish, and fit for purpose/their end use. Constantly mindful of the direction of the season, delivery packages and target price points.
- Own the product information pertaining to special fabrics, vendors, sustainable developments and communicate this information in a coherent format to be used by the marketing and ecommerce teams.
- Have experience embedding intuitive creativity and a high taste level into each product balancing function and aspirational styling with achieving target margins.
- In depth understanding of creating a cohesive overall look whilst also incorporating key drivers, best sellers and seasonal fashion pieces in the right balance and according to the range plan.
- Maintaining awareness of market information influencing consumers and knowing the company best seller products in order to filter into the design process.
- Contribute to the building of the seasonal narrative with research, working closely with the Creative Director to translate the vision into the team’s design work.
- To independently compile in-depth pre-season research, comp. shopping and sourcing in order to help define the season’s inspiration in terms of theme, look, fabric, colour and new finishes
- Excel at presenting your teams concepts and communicating seasonal direction and design to the wider leadership team, as well as the design team. Presenting collections at Buying meetings and actioning any subsequent amendments. Presenting collections to the Retail teams
- Responsible for overseeing the compilation of the technical spec packs ensuring that all styling, fit, key measurements, details of construction, fabrications and trims are clear
- Manage the handover of woven specs as necessary to the Pattern Cutter/Garment Tech and Buyers in accordance with the critical path deadlines
- Work with the pattern cutter, garment tech and supplier through every stage of development in order to develop as accurate first prototypes as possible and thereby ensure the product is developed consistently with the original idea
- Oversee fit meetings from green seal prototypes up until Gold seal stage. Work closely with the pattern cutter and Garment Technologist taking accountability for consistent commercial fit
- Maintaining contact with external suppliers, visiting when necessary, and ensuring they have all relevant design information to make samples
- Work closely with the Merchants on the assortment and the direction of the line
- Partner with the Head of Sourcing, and PD teams to ensure we have the right partners to manufacture with in combination with raw material selection, to achieve target margins. Excellent knowledge of factories, fabric mills and vendors relevant to Jigsaw
- Work closely with the Marketing teams on the seasonal calendar and workflow of major design events – strategy and solution-focused
- Liase with Head of Knits and Jersey, Accessories and Footwear to ensure creative concepts for the season align with these other divisions and complement and merchandise with each other on one unified look and floor set
- Work closely with the Garment Tech teams and Atelier, managing the shape development and fittings process making sure the critical path is adhered to
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- A passionate and energetic design professional with 10 years’ + experience, with a minimum of 2+ years of management experience working in a lead design role for a premium fashion brand
- Bachelor's degree in Fashion Design or equivalent experience
- A high taste level combined with a strong commercial approach
- Proficient in Adobe Creative programs, Keynote and excel
- Strong interest in and understanding of sustainability industry developments
- Enthusiastic and immersed in style and contemporary culture, you embody the values of the brand
- Managerial skill – ability to guide junior creatives and occasional freelancers. Experienced in commissioning print and textile designs, pattern and shape development, collaborating with Artists and other external creatives and being able to direct them in order to realise the creative vision
- Positive; bringing a positive nurturing energy to the team, keeping work standards high, encouraging creative collaborative work whilst accepting responsibility for the final outcome
- A problem solver who thrives in a fast–paced and changing environment and cuts through complexity to create clarity
- Highly motivated 'do–er' with strong sense of collaboration, ownership, urgency and drive.
- Excellent at setting priorities, fostering cohesion and inspiring cross functional teams
- Able to use rigorous logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions
- Able to build constructive and effective relationships with a broad and diverse group of business partners
- Demonstrated executive presence, ability to navigate complexity, work with creative and technical teams, and collaborate across a senior leadership team
- Willing and able to travel as needed in the UK and overseas and be flexible to international travel when required