Fabric Developer and Buyer
- The Fabric Developer and Buyer is responsible for managing the overall process of developing new and seasonal fabrics that meet the designer's aesthetic vision while balancing quality, cost and speed.
- Develop a supply chain that supports the overarching strategic vision.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES/ACCOUNTABILITIES :
- You will contribute to a timely and efficient material creation process from sourcing, development and buying of fabrics. This position supports all the involved departments with material related activities.
- The role requires a creative problem solving, flexible and proactive approach.
- Attend meetings with design team and translate the ideas of the designers into materials
- Coordinate purchase orders for prototypes and sampling and follow up on material shipments from suppliers
- Collect all technical information and keep material cards and boards up to date
- Maintain good collaboration with suppliers and communicate on day-to-day operations
- Support with material data input and updates in internal systems
- Track and respect seasonal material budget, deliveries and prices
- Keep the color, fabric, trim and development archive organized and updated
- Partner with the mills on solutions to drive to the shortest lead times while balancing cost and quality.
- Guide team on textile knowledge and mill specific processes and technology.
- Collaborate with PD and Production to find out the cost leveraging opportunities
- Oversee fabric testing and ensure the mills understand expectations. Communicate with QA to ensure final garment quality.
- Execute strategic initiatives. Review and manage the process by analyzing metrics to determine the effectiveness of the current process.
- Proactively monitor and meet calendar deadlines for approvals and mill execution. Ensure capacity to meet deadlines and manage resources as needed.
Education & Experience
- Academic degree, from fashion school and/or textile education or equivalent life experience
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in a similar role working with fabrics, preferably from a high-end fashion brand
- Professional knowledge of fabrics and good understanding of trims, prints and embroideries
- Strong communication skills
- Experience in PLM is a plus
- Positive mindset and a team player