Design and Product Development Internship
Shrimps is a fashion label from London-based designer Hannah Weiland, launched in 2013. With a background in History of Art and Surface Textile Design, Weiland takes her inspiration from the witticisms of modern art and a playful engagement with pattern and texture. Initially known for colourful faux fur outerwear, bringing the material to the luxury sphere and leading the conversation on cruelty-free fashion, Shrimps now has a full ready-to-wear offering and is renowned for its handmade accessories.
Shrimps is committed to avoiding discrimination of any kind when hiring, casting and choosing collaborators. Furthermore, we are actively working to improve our diversity of representation in these areas, each season discussing as a team how we can affect genuine, non-tokenistic improvement throughout the business.
We will endeavour to go above and beyond to facilitate requests for projects by or for underrepresented groups, and to approach individuals from such groups with opportunities for paid collaborations. Shrimps also supports numerous charitable causes with both one-off and ongoing contributions.
We are offering a part-time internship opportunity for a self-motivated and conscientious person to join the Shrimps team. The role will support the Design and Development team mainly, with one day working alongside Production.
The successful candidate should be highly organized, looking to develop their skills across different departments and be studying a Fashion/Textiles related BA.
- General assistance in everyday studio work, organizing samples and swatches, maintaining a neat & orderly studio
- Cutting and sewing new season toiles and samples – ranging from RTW to hair accessory mock-ups
- Helping to prepare packages, tracking shipments
- Organizing new season samples, ensure they are prepared for market/shoots etc
- Overseeing current fabric swatches, trims & bead logging
- Archiving seasonal design ideas and developments
- Assisting with the co-ordination of samples for shoots and factories and booking with couriers
- Sample management and tracking including SMS, PPS and QC units
- Monitoring stock levels and seasonal distribution of raw material
- A good understanding of patterns, ability to read and cut confidently for toiles
- Experience with an industrial sewing machine and iron
- Confident using Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Microsoft Office suite
- Strong English verbal and written skills, and numerical skills.
- Excellent organization skills, timely manner & adaptable
- A self-starter and motivated person, who can demonstrate initiative and is able to work independently when needed
- Currently studying a Fashion/Textile related BA
- Happy to commute into our London based studio
- Available Monday-Wednesday with flexibility Thursday-Friday