Mainline Designer and Product Developer (Women's, Pants and Special Projects)
Since 1959 Alpha Industries has designed and sold high quality, military-inspired outerwear that remains true to its heritage. The authenticity of the brand’s top styles, the MA-1 Flight Jacket and the M-65 Field Coat, was born of purpose as a result of the first contracts awarded by the U.S. Department of Defense over 50 years ago. Even today both styles, among many others, have kept Alpha Industries at the forefront of military fashion offering new fits, silhouettes, colors, and detailing. Available in department stores, specialty shops, and fashion retailers around the globe, Alpha also collaborates with top brands and designers. We operate with a start-up feel but rooted in a strong brand history. For more information, visit www.alphaindustries.com.
Alpha Industries offers a casual, family-friendly work culture that promotes inclusivity and collaboration. You’ll be joining a passionate team that works to drive our brand mission and to ensure Alpha continues to evolve into one of the pioneers in military fashion for the gen z and millennial customer.
The Mainline Designer and Product Developer is responsible for entire product design process for mainline Women’s, mainline bottoms and special projects including market research, inspiration boards, designing, sketching and creating tech packs, as well as the development process of executing on materials, trims and fit to execute on seasonal lines that meet margin and assortment targets . The candidate will ensure product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy and brand ID and work closely with Merchandising and additional designers on delivering vision for Seasonal collections. This position will work out of our Northern Virginia or New York office, it will be determined based on where the selected candidate lives.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify trends and design direction and in collaboration with other Designers clearly develop/communicate color palettes and concept/mood boards to senior management each season.
- Actively participate in the conceptual development of product lines and product strategy for each season
- Present to Management team Design direction and seasonal assortment in collaboration with other Designers
- Consistently be aware and knowledgeable of competitor brands and anticipate new design trends
- Design and create sketches for specific Mainline women’s, mainline bottoms and special project product categories using computer-aided design (CAD)
- Create color CADs for color and concept
- Review product for detail and fit.
- Lead at all stages of sample development for responsible categories to communicate with factories.
- Continuously update all sketches from concept to bulk production.
- Work with the team to ensure that the product styling and fit is consistent with current market trends and identify new trends
- Make sample (proto, SMS, PPS, TOP) and trim comments to factory
- Make lab dips and strike-off comments to factory
- Coordinate the development process according to time and action deadlines
- Create and edit tech packs – including sketches, BOM, design comments
- Develop and create original artwork and edit existing artwork
- Create and update graphic boards for upcoming season
- Conduct market research to identify new trends, fabrics and techniques
- Research and development of all pre-style development including; fabrics, washes, mock-up, drapes, tailoring bodies, trims and prints
- Research and compile reports, trend forecasts and competitive analysis
- Attend Production team meeting and clarify important style aspects and strategize on how to deliver design vision at the required price point
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong working knowledge of the women’s apparel business
- Solid knowledge and working experience in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience with pattern making, patternmaking, and knowledge of garment construction
- Must be detail oriented
- An eye for future fashion trends
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in clothing and textiles or related field
- 3-5 years of Design and development in Apparel field
Alpha Industries offers competitive pay, employee discounts and outstanding benefits package. Alpha Industries’ corporate headquarters is located in Chantilly, VA, Sales and Marketing located in New York, NY and Distribution Center in Knoxville, TN. Alpha Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. To learn more about a rewarding career with Alpha Industries, please visit our website at www.alphaindustries.com.