Product Development Assistant or Associate
Title: Assistant or Associate Product Development - SEA NY Reports to: Design Director
Development focused team member with dual product development and technical design responsibilities. The role is focused on development and execution for protos and SMS. The candidate will assist the Associate Designer and Technical Designer in their responsibilities on an as needed basis, with direction from Creative Director, Design Director and Senior Designer.
- Arrange cutting and sewing of sew guides and SMS with Domestic Factory and IH sewer. This includes communicating the combos and finishes to the cutter and sewers, problem solving on the ground print placement, garment construction, etc.
- Mandarin proficiency to communicate with local sewers or clear simple communication to effectively get garments made.
- Source domestic fabrics, trims and linings as needed from local stores for protos and SMS
- Pull fabrics, linings and trimmings for domestic factory to make protos, sew guides, and SMS samples, make needed decisions to finish garments.
- Problem solve at factory on cutting placement, trims, how to finish garments.
- Attend fittings for development protos, assist in pinning and cutting garments in fitting. Responsible for taking photos and notes for tech pack comments.
- Sketch updates as needed following closely hand of Design Director and Senior Designer
- Communicate comments on fabric, wash, embellishment and prints to OS factories, troubleshoot and work with vendors to ensure developments meet design standards.
- Assist Associate Designer in creating and updating POs as needed.
- Take in house patterns to domestic digitizer to send patterns OS.
- Work with in house sewer on mock ups of construction techniques and execution of design vision.
- Develop domestic garment wash and dying with local resources.
- Maintain records of development approvals to communicate all fabric and development information to production in conjunction with Associate Designer and Technical Designer.
- 1-4 years PD or TD Experience
- Mandarin Proficiency Preferred
- Design eye and and brand appropriate taste level to execute garments with best outcome
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Good follow through, proactive, extremely organized and detail oriented
- Knowledge of woven garment construction and fabric/trim
- Strong sketching ability
- Proficient in Illustrator, Photoshop, and Excel
- BA Fashion Design, Product Development or Technical Design
- Women’s wear experience is an asset/preferred
- Must be hard working and flexible with strong problem solving skills