Product Development Manager
The Product Development Manager (PDM) is responsible for identifying new opportunities for
developing a new marketable product from concept to distribution. This position is also
responsible for improving an existing product to meet customers’ needs better and invigorate a
current market. In addition to working with sourcing to merchandise market goods into
● Manage product development and Sourcing - Idea generation, screening, concept
development, product development.
● In collaboration with the creative design team, sales team, global sourcing partners,
assure on-time development.
● Manage the product development timeline in conjunction with the timelines of the
Company’s business strategies.
● Develop products that meet or exceed predetermined gross margin targets.
● Communicate the specifications and product details to the Sourcing organization and
● Research market and industry to bring innovative products and product trends.
● Manage the development process of approved items.
● Prepare and maintain seasonal project list and routine status reporting.
● Manage, plan and track the development schedule of all products to ensure a timely
completion following the predetermined product development calendar.
● Ensure both the technical superiority and the product quality/integrity and safety and
liability of all products falling under the scope of assigned responsibilities.
● Create the specifications for the products, publish, and maintain all records, style files,
and samples associated with the product and related programs.
● Partner with Sourcing to ensure the superior quality and timely delivery of sales samples
● Partner with manufacturers to develop new fabrications and processes that go hand in
hand with developing innovative and technically superior products.
● Strong knowledge of apparel product categories
● Successful project management skills and knowledge of the product cycle and product
● Strong Knowledge of specifications management, product costing, and size/fit/grading.
● Intermediate to advanced CAD Drawing skills for technical and construction detail
sketches & related art.
● Must have a track record in managing the development of innovative designs,
procedures, and implementing processes.
● Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
● Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
● Strong knowledge of industry trends and market research.
● Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
● Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
● Excellent organizational skills and attention to details.
● Excellent oral and written communications skills.
● Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
● Experience working remotely with a distributed team.
Education and Experience:
● Bachelor's degree in Business, Merchandising, Marketing or related field and 4-6 years of
experience in a Product Development, Merchandising, Retail, or Product Creation related role
in the Apparel industry.
● Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
● Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
● 10 % travel may be required.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.
The Company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and
basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations
and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed
as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities.
Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Company reserves the
right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the
Company may deem appropriate.