Ten Thousand is seeking an outstanding Design Director to lead our apparel design team. Working closely with our founders and our VP of Product, you will drive the overall design vision for Ten Thousand. Day-to-day, you will oversee the creative direction of our seasonal assortments, ensuring an impeccable taste level and brand fit across all styles. In addition, you will conceive, refine, and execute innovative product concepts that push the boundaries of activewear performance.
We’re looking for a player-coach excited to design for the Ten Thousand brand who can also lead and mentor a growing design team. You will also work closely with cross-functional partners in all aspects of product strategy, design, sourcing, and development, as well as partnering with our marketing team to help tell the story of our brand and products. As the senior member of our product design function, you will play a key role in shaping the Ten Thousand brand and our design philosophy.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure aesthetic and functional execution of all Ten Thousand styles, from sketches to PP samples
- Oversee creative direction of seasonal assortments
- Design new styles within timelines and guidelines set out by company calendar and merchant product briefs
- Provide detailed product pass-offs to product development, including CADs, detailed design instruction, trim direction, fit direction, and fabric information
- Work with technical design and vendor partners to create mockups and prototypes to explore, resolve, or prove new concepts or construction techniques
- Explore and/or develop innovative technologies including materials, construction techniques, and product features to drive continuous product performance improvements
- Partner with Merchandising and Sourcing & Production to drive long-range fabric & trim R&D, including prototyping and wear-testing
- Collaborate with Merchandising, Marketing, and CX to develop consumer insights
- Partner with Merchandising to brainstorm new styles and set overall product strategy
- 10+ years’ experience in apparel design, including 3+ years managing direct reports. Prior experience in activewear and/or technical outerwear strongly preferred. Prior DTC experience also preferred.
- Passion for premium, functional design and the desire to forge a path as a market leader in new design concepts.
- Excellent taste level commensurate with the Ten Thousand brand. Exceptional attention to product details.
- Deep understanding of woven and knit garment design and construction.
- Highly proficient in Adobe Illustrator. 3-D design experience a plus.
- Strong sense of ownership and determination to get things done.
- Humility and eagerness to learn and grow.
ABOUT TEN THOUSAND
Starting with the world’s best training shorts, Ten Thousand is building the go-to men’s performance apparel brand for the functional fitness movement. Each Ten Thousand product features premium performance fabrics, an elevated aesthetic, and thoughtful fit and feature options.
Since launching, Ten Thousand has been featured in GQ, Esquire, Gear Patrol, Men’s Health, and other leading lifestyle and fitness outlets, and we’ve developed partnerships with other industry-leading brands including Equinox and SoulCycle.
With funding from leading consumer VCs and e-commerce leaders, we’re well on our way to becoming the leading brand of premium men’s activewear. Learn more on Instagram or at www.tenthousand.cc.