Design & Product Development Assistant
Who What Wear is looking to hire a Design & Product Development Assistant to join its award-winning culture. If you have experience in apparel product development or production with high-end contemporary brands, we want to hear from you!
The Design & Product Development Assistant collaborates with design, product development, and other cross-functional teams to bring the Who What Wear collection to life each season. From tracking samples to scheduling fittings, keeping our projects on track, and more, the Design & Product Development Assistant plays a key role on our team.
The ideal candidate has a minimum of two years experience in apparel product development or production, has excellent written and verbal communication skills, and finds joy in managing multiple tasks with competing priorities without missing a beat or single detail.
This position is based in Los Angeles and reports to the Design Director.
Our Future of Work: Who What Wear employees are working from home for the remainder of 2021; therefore, all interview and onboarding activities are virtual. Beginning in 2022, we will transition to a hybrid in-person/ remote work environment. Candidates should be open to working remotely with a requirement to work in person from time to time
Key Duties Include:
- Collaborate with Design, Product Development, and external vendors, to effectively execute the product. Partner with the design team to complete and update BOMs as necessary and forward updates to vendors in a timely manner.
- Track all vendor samples to ensure critical deadlines are met. Manage domestic sample development process: partner with Fabric R&D to ensure that the factory has received fabric and trims and are using them for the correct samples. Track sample status from cutting to completion.
- Partner with the Technical Design team to schedule fittings, attend all fittings and proto reviews with the Designers and Technical Design. Document with photographs and notes to be communicated to the Creative Director.
- Organize and log all samples, 1st Protos, SMS, PPS, TOP in fit sample library at the end of each season
- Create working and final line sheet’s each season
- CAD all sketches for line sheets and mock-up colors and layouts for fabric and knitwear development
- Support Director of Collection, Product Development & Production with additional duties and projects as assigned.
- 2-5 years of experience in Apparel Product Development or Production, preferably in the high-end contemporary women’s market.
- Associate’s degree or higher in Apparel Design or Product Development, or equivalent work experience in lieu of a degree
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Apparel Design or Product Development
- Extensive knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills, supreme attention to detail, and proficiency in managing multiple tasks with competing priorities.
Benefits & Perks:
- Work/Life Balance: Unlimited time off, paid holidays, Summer Fridays (Half-day Fridays), paid winter break, and flexible work schedules.
- Wellness: 85%–100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees in addition to short- and long-term disability coverage and life insurance. Self-Care Fridays (Half-day Fridays) to encourage self-care and mental health awareness.
- Financial Well-being: Sponsored 401k plan with unlimited access to financial advisors and planning tools. Bonus eligibility for all Full-Time employees.
- Opportunity to Fight Racism: We’re proud to match 100% of employee donations made to organizations that combat racism or support recovery from racist acts of violence.
- Opportunity to Do Good: Each employee dedicates one day per year toward an impactful social good project.
Who What Wear provides an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Who What Wear believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as an international company. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
More about Who What Wear:
Who What Wear is an international fashion company known for its content sites—whowhatwear.com and whowhatwear.co.uk—and its affordable, size-inclusive, and trend-forward line of clothing and accessories. The brand was founded in 2006 by Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power and includes the chart-topping career podcast, Second Life, which is hosted by Kerr. Most recently, Who What Wear launched a sister company, Versed, which is a clean skincare line with products at affordable prices. Headquartered in Los Angeles.