As we further expand into new product categories, we have a very exciting position on offer! We are now looking for a London based full-time or part-time experienced Apparel Designer to join our growing team of creatives and support one of our most important departments – Product Design.
Having had committed the last 10 years to the Alternative and The Opposite Thing, expressing our creativity through the design of Footwear and Accessories, we are now ready and excited for the next decade to come. The next chapter - Apparel is a fresh canvas for Miista. We remain an independent company and you can really make a difference here.
If you are an excellent sketcher, if you have technical knowledge as an apparel designer, if you understand Miista’s aesthetics, and if you are not shy of getting your hands dirty through the design process and experimentation with materials, this might be your place.
The position is based in London, UK, but travelling abroad during peak design season to supervise sampling and fitting is required.
The position reports to the Creative Director / Head of Brand and Design.
Tasks will include, but not be limited to:
- Under the direction of the Head of Brand and Design, identifying creative concepts, mood-boards, and trends for the incoming season
- Under the direction of the Head of Brand and Design, and in collaboration with the Brand's Merchandiser, identify the right size and balanced product range plan for the season, both for Clothing and Accessories
- Sketch by hand initial product ideas
- Visit the international fabric and leather fairs seasonally and look for new trends and suppliers, while working on maintaining strong relationships with current material suppliers
- Create design tech packs for production of women apparel
- Create renderings and presentations detailing Sewing, Points of Measurement, Graded Specifications, Wash Description, Label/Hangtag Placement, Bill of Materials (or BOM), and Packaging Instructions
- Being involved in fitting and communicating the fit comments to our own factory in Spain
- Working closely with our pattern cutter in Spain to achieve the exact desired fit
- Conduct overseas fittings on models to determine fit corrections
- Determine corrections to achieve fit by manipulating garment and/or pattern and flat technical sketches
- Meet weekly with Team regarding the sample approval status in order to maintain the company design critical path
- Identify any technical problems with pre-production samples and follow through to ensure all design issues are resolved prior to entering production
- In collaboration with the brands product developer, interact on a daily basis with our own factories/ or external vendors to problem solve all issues related to garment engineering
- Ensure that the creative output is consistent and in line with the brands objectives, with consistency across all creative touch points, and that concepts are aligned across all products
- Collaborate with a strong internal creative team
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in fashion design/product, ideally with training in Technical Design & Pattern-making
- Must be an excellent hand-sketcher
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in the fashion industry on a similar role
- Proven industry experience within the luxury fashion market and a strong understanding of both luxury products and high street
- Must have live model fit experience and good knowledge of garment construction & ideally an understanding of pattern-making
- A good understanding of fabrics, inclusive of denim
- Proficient in Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Innate ability to review and strategise creative product concepts relevant to brand image
- Strong interest and views within design platforms, fashion, art, culture
- Strong planning, organisational and problem-solving skills
- Highly proactive and solution oriented
- Great at building relationships and able to influence suppliers, partners and team members in a positive way
- Able to work within a team where ideas are collaborative
- Intellectual curiosity to explore and push the limits of fashion products
- Strong communication skills in written and spoken English. Spanish, Portuguese or Italian would be a plus
- Have a strong collaborative and networking attitude.
If you think YOU are who we WE are looking for, please submit your application, including your portfolio, as soon as possible. We are currently interviewing already.
Our Position: The Opposite Thing
Designed in London — Made in Spain — EU Sourced and Produced
Miista upends the exclusionary practices of the fashion industry to show how we’re actually living now. Over the last ten years we are proud to have built a brand that through craft, our community, the risks we’ve taken and a sometimes
bizarre willingness to laugh at ourselves, has made an elegant commitment to the alternative. A dedication to the opposite thing.
What does that mean? That we’re happy to sacrifice profit and to subvert problematic fashion trends for women to create a product that has personality in addition to aesthetic value. A product that knows women don’t really shop using the search words ‘pretty’ now. If we were your friend, Miista would be the odd one at school who grew up and got an attitude and a sense of confidence. You know when it’s a Miista.