Who What Wear is looking to hire a Technical Designer to join its award-winning culture! Do you thrive in a fast-paced fashion environment? Are you skilled in fit and pattern corrections, sewing, and technical drawing? If so, we would love to hear from you!
As the Technical Designer, you’re expected to possess a strong understanding of construction, fit, and pattern making along with extensive knowledge and skill in garment construction and manufacturing methods. The ideal candidate has excellent communication and organization skills, and is able to schedule and run weekly fittings. Above all, we’re looking for somebody who has the ability to quickly and effectively identify fit issues and production challenges, and come to the table with solutions. If you are extremely motivated, with a desire to learn and grow individual skills in Technical Design and surrounding departments, please apply!
The position is based in Los Angeles and reports directly to the Sr. Director of Production and Sourcing.
- Responsible for the generation of development tech packs, updating development and production tech packs, and sending fit comments for 1st prototypes, Salesman Samples, Pre Production Samples, and Top of Production Samples, while maintaining close partnership with design from initial sketch through development and production.
- Responsible for maintenance and updating of Tech Packs in real-time, with information for BOM, construction templates, and measurements included.
- Clear and Consistent communication with PD and Production leads, identifying potential product, quality, and costing issues whilst making appropriate recommendations.
- Responsible for tracking model’s core body measurements, grade rule approval, maintaining and updating pattern block library, and cross-referencing existing bodies to expedite the fit process.
- Must execute fit comments in a timely manner to ensure the fit process stays in line with the production timeline and meets key milestone dates.
- Review fit samples with cross-functional partners, including design and PD, during fit sessions on a live model.
- Maintain professional and timely email correspondence with domestic & overseas vendors
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the apparel industry as a Technical Designer.
- Experience in PLM systems and CAD Patternmaking systems
- Proficient computer skills, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint )
- Experience in grading and ability to understand grade rules.
- Knowledge of preparing and writing product specification sheets.
- Clear communication of fit comments and corrections to send to vendors on a regular basis.
- Ability to quickly and effectively identify apparel flaws and/or possible production issues.
- Organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
Benefits & Perks:
- Work/Life Balance: Unlimited time off, paid holidays, Summer Fridays (Half-day Fridays), paid winter break, and flexible work schedules.
- Wellness: 85%–100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees in addition to short- and long-term disability coverage and life insurance. Self-Care Fridays (Half-day Fridays) to encourage self-care and mental health awareness.
- Financial Well-being: Sponsored 401k plan with unlimited access to financial advisors and planning tools. Bonus eligibility for all Full-Time employees.
- Opportunity to Fight Racism: We’re proud to match 100% of employee donations made to organizations that combat racism or support recovery from racist acts of violence.
- Opportunity to Do Good: Each employee dedicates one day per year toward an impactful social good project.
Who What Wear provides an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Who What Wear believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as an international company, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
More about Who What Wear:
Who What Wear is an international fashion company known for its content sites—whowhatwear.com and whowhatwear.co.uk—and its affordable, size-inclusive, and trend-forward line of clothing and accessories. The brand was founded in 2006 by Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power and includes the chart-topping career podcast, Second Life, which is hosted by Kerr. Most recently, Who What Wear launched a sister company, Versed, which is a clean skincare line with products at affordable prices. Headquartered in Los Angeles.