Senior Director / Director of Merchandising & Buying, Tory Sport
- Tory Burch
- New York, New York, United States
- Closing date
- 4 Apr 2022
- Merchandising & Planning
- Senior Manager
Tory Burch is an American lifestyle brand that inspires people around the world to live in full color with character, beauty and confidence. Launched in February 2004, the collection embodies the personal style and sensibility of its Executive Chairman and Chief Creative Officer, Tory Burch. It includes ready-to-wear, shoes, handbags, accessories, watches, home and fragrance.
There are more than 300 Tory Burch boutiques across North America, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America, Asia and Australia, and the collection is available at over 3,000 department and specialty stores worldwide and toryburch.com. The brand's dedication to helping women fearlessly follow their dreams is reflected in the work of the Tory Burch Foundation, which advances women's empowerment and entrepreneurship in the United States.
Brand integrity, global inspiration and beautiful products are integral to who we are as a company and what we have accomplished to date. Our incredible team is an equally important part of the equation. We believe that each of our employees play a vital role in our continuing efforts to grow and evolve.
Inspired by the grace and strength of athletes, Tory Sport is designed to reflect the beauty of the game and the empowering role that sports play in all aspects of a woman's life. A modern take on iconic Seventies active wear, Tory Sport products are engineered using the most innovative textile technologies. Classic styles are revamped in fresh colors, graphic prints and performance fabrics that don't look or feel overly technical.
The Senior Director / Director, Merchandising & Buying oversees the merchandising and buying team related to Tory Sport. This position will develop high-level product and business strategies by focusing on how profitability, product positioning and forecasted growth will continue to build the brand identity; is responsible for ensuring the development, execution, and communication of team's category strategies will meet or exceed financial goals. They must mobilize and lead a team and successfully create and develop partnerships with cross-functional partners (Design, Product Development, Production, Creative, and Mainline counterparts).
- Build the brand's point of view for the category that can exceed all global needs.
- Build and grow the business with a digital consumer centric mindset
- Own end to end, merchandising and buying accountability to how we plan & purchase
- Own, identify and seek opportunities to positively affect category/company
- Create strategy to balance assortment including short and long-term milestones.
- Drive category alignment with calendar to meet key timelines.
- Approve the line based on knowledge of fashion trends, competition, and department history.
- Create and execute the line plan and ensure stay true to the line plane throughout the process.
- Develop and maintain consistency of vision for category across channels of business and regions.
- Continuously seek deep competitor insight and trend prediction of category.
- Identify and pursue creative new ventures for the category and business.
- Work with internal teams to understand needs and growth opportunities related to category.
- Partner with the GM to understand international implications for category.
- Partner with the GM to devise a good- better- best retail pricing strategy that is cohesive with the total business especially cross categories such as RTW, Shoes, Handbags
Leadership and People Management
- Promote an environment that fosters the respect for the ideas of others and supports ongoing collaboration to execute business strategies; measures own success by the team's success.
- Leads by example and operates effectively in the face of continuous pressure imposed by the work environment.
- Provide leadership within the merchandising team by directing, focusing, and motivating team members to keep their efforts on track.
- Monitor development and performance of direct reports through regular meetings to discuss performance and development compared to goals; maintain a dialogue regarding their needs and concerns to aid in future development and increase retention.
- Effectively manage and support the career development process of direct reports to insure job satisfaction and future talent development.
- Continuously looks to innovate and improve our business and business processes.
- Determine and drive the strategic focus of the overall category area. Identify growth, maintain and down trending businesses.
- Own and lead Weekly, Monthly and Quarterly Business Reviews
- Analyze how merchandising decisions and results impact earnings.
- Assess and respond to seasonal, yearly and strategic trends.
- Possess a clear understanding of gross margin return on investment; analyze and recommend pricing strategies to impact it.
- Monitor and ensure category adheres to the line plan to stay within budget.
- Manage cross-functional team relationships on an on-going basis by providing direction on vision, strategy, and meetings to unify team toward a common goal related to the category.
- Build integrated brand, product, marketing strategy that aligns with merchandising strategy
- Accountable to knowledge of results for all digital related insights driving future strategic consideration
- Partner with other Merchandising leaders to create consistency of product assortments, messaging and processes.
- With production team, determine where to produce garments, based on factors such as where to buy fabric, CMT in each country, historical costs, to make cost and quality decisions.
- Work with sourcing team to strategically analyze vendor base to best support future business needs.
- Partner with Design and Production to continuously improve our quality and function of product.
- Partner with Design to build a compelling assortment for the category each season.
- Partner with Marketing and Visual to ensure alignment in functions and clear and compelling category story pull through.
- Work with logistics and distribution to ensure timely product delivery.
- Serve as the representative of the division as needed within the company.
- Work with Design on product growth strategies and communicate to Production.
EDUCATION & PRIOR EXPERIENCE NEEDED
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a related field of study
- 10+ years of merchandising and planning experience
- Experience in growing a brand. Start Up experience would be a plus
- Digital Merchandising Experience
- Merchandising/Marketing mindset
- Adaptable - Change before you have to
- Changes course easily - Knows when to be patient and when to push - Works well in the gray - Shows grace under pressure - Owns mistakes and learns from them - Balances multiple priorities
- Entrepreneurial Spirit - Own it
- Takes initiative, doesn't wait for direction - Builds for the future - Takes personal ownership and accountability - Is resourceful in getting things done
- Collaborative - No "I" in Tory
- Is self-aware and open-minded - Integrates the perspectives of others - Is direct but respectful - Communicates cross functionally - Knows when to get people involved and when to make a decision - Takes an inclusive approach
- Client & Brand Focus - Put yourself in Tory's shoes
- Passionate about the brand and the work - Creates a transformational client experience - Makes decisions in the best interest of the company and our customers - Focuses on internal and external customers
- Live the Values - Being "Buddy"
- Keeps the "Buddy Values" alive (Kindness, humility, warmth, honesty, loyalty, compassion, integrity, and passion) - It's not just what you do, but how you do it - Contributes to a positive and productive environment
- Functional Expertise - Know Your Stuff
- Has the skills necessary to perform the job - Keeps current on trends, skills, and practices - Puts learning into practice
- Team Builder - It's all about "We"
- Sets team goals and roles - Develops, motivates and empowers - Delivers constructive and encouraging feedback - Holds people accountable for results - Recognizes high performance
- Change Leader - Change is the essence of life
- Challenges the current point of view - Puts changes in context for the team - Executes changes that impact the business - Is proactive and positive - Listens to and keeps the team up to speed
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Tory Burch LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual's age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) or sexual orientation, gender expression, military status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, disability or membership in any other protected class under applicable law. Likewise, we will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Ordinance No. 184652. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
Tory Burch is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require assistance or an accommodation with the hiring process, please contact email@example.com .
NYC COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Tory Burch requires new hires employed in New York City to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 per the order of the Commissioner of Health and Mental Hygiene to Require COVID19 Vaccination in the Workplace. Tory Burch provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).
Tory Burch is an American lifestyle brand that embodies the personal style and sensibility of its Chairman, CEO and Chief Creative Officer, Tory Burch. Launched in February 2004, the collection includes ready-to-wear, shoes, handbags, accessories, watches, home and beauty. There are more than 200 Tory Burch boutiques across North America, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and Asia, and the brand is available at over 3,000 department and specialty stores worldwide and toryburch.com. In 2015, the Company introduced Tory Sport, a performance activewear collection that celebrates the elegance of sport. Inspired by the grace and strength of athletes. Tory Sport balances high-tech fabrics with classic design.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert