APPAREL DESIGN STUDENT PLACEMENT 2022
From a garage in Birmingham to a global billion-dollar company, Gymshark is constantly evolving. Today, we exist to unite the conditioning community. We pride ourselves on being a team of grafters, innovators and visionaries. But above all else, we are a family. Our family is ambitious and hard-working. We’re committed and consistent. We’re passionate and progressive. Simply put, we’re different.
We are dedicated to finding talented individuals to join our Gymshark family, people that can bring an exemplary level of skill and add to our culture by sharing the same values and beliefs that make us who we are – visionary. If you’ve got something no-one else has, we want you. Be a part of inventing Gymshark’s future.
Gymshark is an equal opportunity employer. The people that drive our success and infectious culture each come with their own unique set of thoughts, beliefs, cultures, identities, background and body. We’re different because we celebrate difference. That’s what the Gymshark family is – diverse, inclusive, equal.
A little bit about the role
When you work for us, you’re more than a placement student – you join our rapidly expanding Gymshark family. We give people the tools they need to reach further, go faster and be the best version of themselves. We work hard, sure, but we have fun while we do it. Sound like you?
We are looking for an undergraduate to join our Product function for an exciting 13-month placement starting in July 2022. Working with the Design Team and working alongside key members of the Product teams (designers and developers), your mission will be to help create world-class Gymshark sportswear from range plan to finished article.
The Gymshark line is split into 3 main categories: Perform, Train and Life. As the Design placement student, you will play a key role in assisting with the design and development process of apparel across Men’s and Women’s product (including accessories) on a global scale.
We have 2 Apparel Design Student Placement opportunities.
What you’ll be doing
You will gain experience in the following areas:
- Support the Design Team with general day-to-day tasks and ensure all timelines are met
- Work in partnership with the Development Team to fully realise the potential of your product through fit and function
- Collaborate with designers to produce innovative and inspiring moodboards
- Learn how to prepare and build presentations
- Support and assist in weekly fit sessions
- Assist in the design of cutting-edge, brand appropriate fitness apparel and accessories
- Demonstrate your creativity and flair and not be afraid to do things differently
- Gain knowledge of your apparel category across men’s and women’s and be able to commercialise high-end design trends
- Assist in the execution of a well-balanced and commercial range plan, informed by comparison shopping, industry awareness and trend analysis of current Gymshark styles
- Understanding of the importance of graphic design (in both prints and branding)
- Understanding of marketplace trends and lifestyle of the consumer
- Develop confidence in colouring designs
- Gain knowledge or ability to learn how to build design specifications
- Learn to work with the new Product Lifecycle Management system
What you’ll need
We’re not about box-ticking, but if this profile speaks to you all the better:
- Working towards an undergraduate degree in a relevant field of study
- Passion for sportswear design
- Commercial awareness combined with a creative mindset and an eye for detail
- Knowledge of performance and athleisure fabrics and the needs of the consumer
- Ability to work independently and in team environment
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to plan and manage time effectively
- Prepared to help with any task – teamwork is key
- Be able to take constructive criticism well to meet a brief
- Fluent in Illustrator and Photoshop programs, preferably on a Mac
- Good sketching skills for initial ideas
Please upload a copy of your portfolio alongside your application.
What you’ll get
There’s never been a better time to work for Gymshark. We are growing fast, and we want ambitious people to join us for the ride. We offer a diverse and inclusive culture, a supportive and sociable work environment, plus ample opportunities for professional growth, development and networking.
Not to mention…
🩺 Full private medical insurance with no excess
🏖 25 days holidays + your birthday and all the Bank Holidays which can be substituted and taken whenever you want
💻 A truly Flexible Working Culture
👥 A collaborative, creative and inspiring working environment
💰 Employer pension contributions up to 7%
🤩 Life Assurance at four times your basic salary
🦈 50% Gymshark Discount
🥇 Financial, Physical and Mental Wellbeing Support
📚 Great Training and Learning Resources
🖥 Choice of hardware and access to the best software
🤒 Paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell
🧸 Very Generous Family Leave package – we support you extending your family
🍎 Refuel - Healthy fresh food at GSHQ
🏋️♂️ Lifting Club (LC) Gym Membership
👉 Free monthly massages
💈 Beauty and Barber facilities
🚘 Free on-site parking
What happens next?
If your application is successful, you'll be invited to take part in a video screening and if successful, you'll be invited to an in person assessment day. Our assessment days will be held at Gymshark HQ, Solihull, UK at the beginning of December.
Job applications open on 11th October 2021 and close on 24th October 2021.
Placement is for 13 months from July 2022.