Financial Reporting Manager
Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments. The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. Our team is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that's kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can't get anywhere else - unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
We operate on three values:
- Circularity - We’re taking the circular economy mainstream. Changing people’s relationship with clothes and making it easy to choose options that are kinder to the planet.
- Self expression - We’re a space for self expression that encourages millions to explore, connect and find their identities through style.
- Opportunity - We’re building a home of fashion where everyone feels welcome and anyone can succeed on their own terms.
A newly created role, this is a mid-senior role that will be responsible for statutory and external reporting within the Finance team. Following the recent Etsy acquisition, the company compliance and reporting requirements have scaled beyond statutory UK filings, and now require group reporting. Working alongside our internal Financial Accountant and finance operations team, the successful candidate shall be responsible for planning and producing the necessary group reporting and statutory accounts, whilst also supporting statutory audits for the UK, US and Australian entities. With part of this work already outsourced, we do not expect that the successful candidate will have direct experience in every single aspect of US, UK, AU reporting but we are looking for a proactive and organised individual that will be able to switch between hands-on action and strategic planning with the help of our advisory teams.
We’re looking for an experienced, practical individual who is prepared to work as part of a team but with the confidence to work autonomously and lead the existing team for this critical area. Although there is existing, standardised financial reporting to support, improve and scale, Depop is currently transitioning reporting to the level expected of a US public listed company which provides the opportunity for the successful candidate to critically assess and form a strategic roadmap towards.
- Holistic review of our statutory and group reporting process, including the assessment of outsource vs in-house execution and improvements of related processes.
- Collaborate with external and group partners to complete local and international filings and review to ensure accuracy and timely completion.
- Lead the preparation of the Consolidated Financial Statements & group reporting required by parent
- Leads the internal preparation for the external audit, working with the team to plan and produce the audit files, policy documentation and walkthroughs in a timely and an accurate manner.
- Manages the relationship with the external auditors with the Head of Finance to ensure the audit is as efficient as possible resulting in an excellent audit report.
- Works with the rest of the Finance team to follow up on audit observations, ensuring consistency of approach and high standards of audit files, driving high levels of individual accountability, engagement and development.
- Participate in the coordination and preparation of the information required for the quarterly reports (10-Q), annual reports (10- K) and current reports (8-K) for the parent company.
- Assist with technical accounting research and documentation of new policies and procedures.
- Assist with establishment, documentation, and maintenance of company accounting policies.
- Review and, where necessary, assist with the disclosures for the separate subsidiary year-end financial statements.
- You will be an ambitious, dedicated individual that is excited about the opportunity to develop in a fast-paced global business that is constantly changing.
- Technically strong accounting skills and confident with financial reporting, with ideally both UK & US GAAP or IFRS exposure.
- Approximately 6 years PQE ACA/ACCA qualified with experience of working in a similar role within a fast-paced business.
- Able to convey in original written correspondence and reports, complex technical matters in a clear and concise manner, adapted to the needs of technical and non-technical clients.
- Requires a thorough knowledge of accounting methods and techniques and the ability to apply both in problem solving.
- Skills in leadership and team building, organising, planning, controlling, coordinating, and delegating to effectively manage and develop staff, and achieve organisational goals.
- Knowledge of accounting systems and internal controls.
- Results-oriented approach, with the ability and to make independent decisions with a solutions-driven approach
- Proven track record of balancing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, able to work in an agile manner and prioritise an ongoing list of tasks
- Willingness and ability to perform tasks at all levels, from detailed preparation to high level review and strategic planning.
- Good communicator & team player with the ability to coordinate and influence cross-functionally with external and non-finance partners.
- Experience with US parent company, or post-acquisition environments
- Experience in managing the coordination and preparation of financial statements and disclosures on Forms 10-Q, 10-K and 8-K with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Experience in managing our Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements.
- Workday or Netsuite experience is beneficial