Product Development Manager Footwear
We are offering an exciting position as Product Development Manager Footwear to take the lead of our Product Development department. This is a temporary position with a strong probability for an extension. The production department will during the spring of 2022 move from our Gothenburg HQ to our subsidiary office in London. There will be a handover period commenced in Gothenburg, however, London will be the primary work location.
The Footwear Product Development Manager holds the end-to-end responsibility for the product from sketch to delivery. Working from concept and idea to create a range of functioning quality products with design integrity and commercial value. You will be working together with a team to establish efficient processes for product development from start to final approval.
Your role is to build, manage, and flex calendar to ensure timely turnover of development, return of prototypes, market samples, and placement of final production. You will monitor calendars daily to enable the flow of development; apprises and resolves calendar variances with the team and management. Your responsibility is to improve and implement systems of product approval and drive CP for seasonal and project-based developments.
This position holds the responsibility for seamless cooperation between design, production, supply chain, and marketing. The DPM is to constantly collaborate with our production partners, improving product and lead time. This requires almost daily contact with factories and regular international visits.
- Responsibility and ownership of the product creation process from design hand-off to final product, with an emphasis on quality product development and timely completion of all tasks in accordance with the operating calendar.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with Designers, Quality Control, Operations, Factories, and direct materials suppliers to ensure product success.
- Recommend design enhancements, construction, and material options geared at elevating our brands and hitting financial requirements.
- Monitor and review all prototypes and market samples to insure faithful execution to spec as well as meets quality, execution, and construction standards. Provides feedback and information to factories to make necessary changes clear and organized.
- Review and communicate style and material minimums, material costs, and lead times with design, production, and merchandising.
- Negotiates pre-production costs based on design, merchandising, and financial plans
- Assortment planning together with designer and merchandiser (product mix, launch month, and price).
- Monitor customer feedback together with assistant and customer service.
- Track sample development and the production and lead time of the same.
- Source alternate manufacturers and material suppliers to provide options in materials, products, and techniques in collaboration with the Sourcing and Production department.
- Work closely with the designer to ensure timely turnover of development, return of prototypes, and market samples, and placement of final production.
- Attends trade shows and interacts with material suppliers.
- Product integrity
- Aim to instill quality in the product from material selection thru final production.
- Review all components with an eye for quality and durability.
- Ensure that all components and constructions used are compliant for performance and restricted substances prior to production.
- Test questionable materials and treatments in the development cycle to prevent a lapse in product flow in production together with the quality coordinator.
- Actively drive the sustainable journey with innovative sourcing and development of new and existing products.
- Analyze consumer buying patterns and predicting future trends in collaboration with Merchandising department.
- Understand the customer and changes in consumer behavior.
- Follow daily sales and developments for different product styles
- Drive training and product education for colleagues in all departments, wholesale, and retail.
- Bachelors or graduate degree in the relevant subject matter.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the Footwear industry and product development.
- Follow current trends in footwear and a genuin interest in the fashion landscape.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines; highly detail-oriented and meticulous.
- Management skills and comfort handling pressured deadlines.
- Can work well under pressure
- The technical know-how of footwear and constructions
- The role requires you to be able to travel.
- Fluent in English, written and spoken is a must.
- Swedish, Portuguese or Italian is considered an advantage.
- A work permit in the UK is a requirement for this position.
Salary: According to agreement
Start date: According to agreement
Work location: London
We process applications continuously and the position may be filled before the last day of application.
Please observe that this initially is a temporary position, but there is a strong probability for an extension to a permanent position.