Head of Logistics
Garrard Head of Logistics
Reporting directly to the Group Finance Director, the Head of Logistics will be required to manage the full Logistics service to the Company, ensuring that both costs and processes are managed efficiently. The role requires an individual with expert knowledge of logistics on a global basis, experience in the luxury industry, preferably within fine jewellery. The Head of Logistics will plan and execute strategies to ensure the logistics department is run as environmentally friendly as possible, tracking company emissions and researching new innovations in greener packaging.
- Manage and develop national and international processes and procedures to ensure logistics compliance.
- Ensuring a complete understanding of freight capabilities, environmental credential, insurance levels and costs and selecting the most appropriate freight method based on these factors.
- Build and manage relationships with HMRC, freight suppliers and internal departments to ensure good flow of information to manage movements as effectively and cost efficiently as possible while staying within regulations.
- To ensure that all invoices are checked and matched back to the import/export values and charged to the correct cost centers.
- Manage a tight stock control process including bi-weekly cycle counts of categories across the business.
Administrative and People Management:
- To overview the logistics tasks and ensure that administration is up to date, particularly focussing on:
- Import and export spreadsheets
- IPR/OPR process management
- Filing of Clearance Instructions in writing as they are issued.
- Any necessary shipping licences
- To support any shipping route complexities providing updates and solutions throughout, which could require communication outside of standard office working hours.
- Excellent communication skills with the wider organisation on shipping processes, timings and costs
- To take responsibility for tidiness and organisation of the vault ensuring stock accuracy
- To recruit, mentor and train a logistics apprentice as part of the Company’s wider commitment to Apprenticeship opportunities
- To take ownership of the logistics for special events, including any trade shows
- To advise the relevant parties of best form of transportation and related costs.
- To advise of any special requirements i.e. if certificate of origin required or any tax implication etc.
- To ensure stock arrives at location in a timely and cost efficient manner, including follow up and communication with sales and merchandising.
- Must ensure all jewellery is packed and transported securely and protected from being damaged.
- Travel to location of show / special event as and when required
Knowledge & Skills
- Minimum of 5 years experience of shipping/logistics
- Experience within the luxury sector, preferably with fine jewellery
- Excellent knowledge of SAP
- Good spoken and written English
- Excellent Problem Solving skills
- Highly motivated and proactive
- Excellent organisational skills
- Attention to detail, able to provide accurate reporting
- Proven experience of working to deadlines and ability to work under pressure
- Strong management skills, experience of managing and developing a team
- Flexible and adaptable approach with a positive, supporting and ‘can do attitude
- Due to the nature of the role this is a full time 5 day per week office based position