Tech Lead Software Engineer - Backend or Infrastructure (Remote, Europe)
- Collaborating withother developers and designers
- Actively seeking out hard problems to solve, and designingtechnical roadmaps to solve them
- Identifying and pursuing impactful projects driven by product direction, merchant need, and appropriate technological trends
- Creating beautiful and fast code that improves our codebase in meaningful ways
- Bringing context and learnings back to a team from other projects and mentoring junior developers through technically challenging decisions
- Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
- Contributing back to the open-source community
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams - strong technical mentorship is a must
- An understanding of the long-term impacts of complex technical decisions
- The ability to constantly raise the bar for product development and how teams work
- Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages - Ruby on Rails,Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python- is an asset, but not required. Don't have experience with many of them? No problem - deep experience with any object-oriented language and willingness to learn our tech stack goes a long way. (Also: Check out our StackShare here.)
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort.And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page.👍 📖
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join theShopify Talent Communityto learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/teams/engineering
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we're working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locationsShopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify's commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we're looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Learn more about our hiring process