Apparel Graphic/Print Designer
At Lazy Oaf we are well renowned for our illustrative and graphic print treatments across all our product and indeed, everything we touch. We work with a growing network of incredible artists and creatives from the illustration and graphic art world as well as having a rich history of creating and producing our own designs in house. We are looking for our next creative Oaf that will be responsible for generating original, contemporary graphic prints for our apparel and lifestyle product offering which could range from T shirts and socks to soap and rugs. This role will involve creating exciting and Oaf worthy designs from ideation through to completion and also help manage our creative network briefing out and managing external projects, ... This role is an integral part of our Apparel Design team. We also envision this role supporting our wider creative team with offline design, marketing materials and ad-hoc projects where it’s needed. Lazy Oaf puts creativity at the heart of the business, keeping our aesthetic creative, relevant, inspiring and innovative.
- Research and Development: Working with the Creative and Design team to ideate themes for collections and concept build. Create design and print direction packs for projects/seasons based on research and innovation.
- Creating print and graphics in a range of styles that reflect our sense of humour, are original, and reflect our love of the lo fi.
- Experience in creating illustrations, typography and logos, taking a multidisciplinary approach with flexible style that could range from the naive to the nostalgic character led etc.
- Working across a range of products and outputs but with the focus being apparel. Creating artworks for projects that may range from sticker design, packaging and branding to T-shirt placement prints, dress repeat patterns and intarsia knit socks graphics to name a few.
- Creating prints that feel new, exciting and push our boundaries to ensure we are creating the most innovative product we can that continues to give us our edge.
- Finding inspiration in the unconventional; cartoons, youth subcultures, nostalgia, art, street style, contemporary graphics and music.
- Having a technical understanding of print application, cost considerations and ways to achieve the best results whilst keeping us on budget.
- Managing workflow to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Managing a network of creative collaborators: finding new creatives to work with on future projects, creating briefs, project management, giving constructive feedback and getting sign off on all graphics, project follow ups and communications with contributors. Ensuring artwork received from briefs is ready for tech packs.
- Prepare all artworks with scale, pantones and details for our tech packs for Suppliers, ensuring all technical requirements are accurate and clearly communicated for our own team and for external suppliers.
- Ensuring that all print proofs, strike offs and samples go through a sign off process in an efficient manner and are executed inline with the creative vision.
- Being involved and responsible for building and maintaining a print design process that supports the design team, supplying them with print design and graphic direction so they can design collections and ranges to our product critical path and calendar.
- Creating and adhering to a print design critical path, to be worked out with the design team to ensure they have artworks before they begin design work on a collection.
- Having an active interest in innovative and new ways we can apply print and graphics to product.
- Be contemporary illustration and graphics obsessed.
- Have at least 2/3 years Industry Experience
- Be a mood board builder that loops in the inane, silly and the ridiculous and understand that we like to keep our creative direction innovative and fresh.
- Be somebody who seeks inspiration from sources off the beaten track. An interest in print design, art and film is essential!
- Know how to nail the perfect graphic t shirt design as well as how to artwork a repeat that print factories are forever grateful for.
- Have a side eye view on life, being able to inject the right type of humour into what we make, in keeping with our Oaf outlook whilst making us smirk and guffaw.
- Experience in fashion, working across multiple product types, with proficient knowledge of print techniques and applications, experience with knitwear would be a plus.
- Incredible Adobe Skills, with profound knowledge of illustrator, photoshop and Indesign.
Hell Yeah! How do I apply?
Please send us an email telling us a bit about you and why Oaf, your CV, a link to a digital portfolio along with one image that you think best captures the Lazy Oaf Identity to CREATIVE@LAZYOAF.COM with the subject title ‘Apparel Graphic/Print Designer'