Business Development Director
We’re leading the charge toward sustainable development and corporate social responsibility by forming fair and honest partnerships across the globe. We believe in community, we’re excited about change, and we hire driven, talented change makers who share our vision.
Founded in 1998, Fair Trade USA is an internationally renowned social enterprise organization and the leading certifier of fair trade products in North America. We’re a four-time winner of Fast Company’s "Social Capitalist of the Year" award and the prestigious Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship and have been recognized as a leading social venture by the Clinton Global Initiative, Ashoka, the Klaus Schwab Foundation, and the World Economic Forum.
For today’s conscious consumer, Fair Trade USA provides a way to align values with purchasing decisions. Our widely recognized and trusted Fair Trade Certified™ seal on a product signifies that it was made according to rigorous fair trade standards that promote sustainable livelihoods and safe working conditions, protection of the environment and strong, transparent supply chains.
Since inception, FTUSA has channeled over $830 million in additional income to hardworking families and communities around the world. We currently partners with over 1400 brands in over 30 different product categories in the U.S. and beyond.
We are continuing to grow and deepen our global impact, and to do so, we are hiring for our expanding team. We are based in Oakland, California, with a global presence and team members around the world. Positions may be based at our Oakland, California (Bay Area) location, or remotely.
The Director of Business Development for the Factory Program (Apparel, Home Goods and beyond) of FTUSA will be responsible for leading business development and outreach to achieve revenue and impact growth goals for the division. Candidates for this role should have a deep understanding of the industry, market and customer priorities, and established industry relationships to build Fair Trade Certification growth.
Responsibilities include developing long term program and account growth strategies, leading a team of business development managers, managing annual operating plans, budgets and internal process improvement plans to help scale the program, and working cross-functionally with various support teams across FTUSA.
- Develop and execute long term business development strategies and annual plans, identify market and program opportunities, and set commercial priorities, value proposition and go-to market strategies and plans
- Develop and manage the Factory program annual and quarterly goals, budgets and forecasts and achieve revenue, margin and impact and goals
- Streamline and optimize business development and account management operations to drive efficiencies. Implement strong sales processes and approaches that drive desired outcomes, including metrics and measurement tools to hold the team accountable
- Support key account management, working closely with key account owners to support client success and/or solidify new strategic opportunities, and cultivate strategic account relationships and external stakeholders
- Build, lead, manage, and support the Factory business development team. Foster a collaborative, motivating, and inclusive working environment, and demonstrate a commitment to our organizational values and JEDI (justice, equity, diversity and inclusion) principles
- Develop and coach team members to engage our clients with integrity, through a consistent and solutions-oriented approach that develops trust and long-term relationships, improving their performance through effective use of sales tools and ongoing skills training, and holding them accountable to high standards of performance and results
- Partner with Retail and Marketing teams to develop strategies and plans that generate demand for and increase the distribution and share of Fair Trade Certified products
- Represent Fair Trade and promote FTUSA’s mission and the Factory program through media, trade shows and industry engagements
- Drive the development and execution of innovations in processes, policies, and technology solutions that enable the AHG program to scale effectively and meet its ambitious impact objectives
- Manage specific special projects related to Factory program development, such as: innovations to the Factory fee model, redeveloping the Premium model; researching and executing best practice on international premium payment systems; etc.
- Collaborate with the Impact team to develop the impact strategy for the Factory program to collect and communicate the social, financial, and environmental impacts at participating FT factories. Deliver impact reports to business partners and factories
- Work with peers cross functionally to support development of new and existing aspects of the Fair Trade Factory Program – standards, supply chain updates and information sharing, monitoring and evaluation of impact, sector collaboration, industry engagement
- Deep expertise built through multi-year progressive leadership experience in global apparel, home goods, and/or footwear supply chains
- Proven experience with social, economic, and environmental impacts, and industry sustainability strategies
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with senior level executives at client / partner firms (Fortune 100 experience preferred) and to influence, communicate and negotiate appropriately with clients, to achieve outcomes
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, with demonstrated acumen and commitment to celebrating diversity of thought and experience, and fostering inclusivity
- Exceptional business development background, supported by outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Ability to think quickly: learn, adapt, and work autonomously, while also actively cultivating collaborative relationships with cross-functional teams
- Critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills are critical to this role
- Proven bias-to-action and performance-driven, outcome-oriented focus. Demonstrable ability to drive initiatives forward to reach successful conclusion and meet ambitious goals
- Demonstrated ability to foster an inclusive and performance-driven team culture; builds, develops and retains a high-performing team
- Available and willing to travel as required; both domestically and internationally
- Adept in business development / client relationship (CRM) applications and software – Salesforce acumen preferred
- Technologically adept, advanced skills in suite of Microsoft Office applications
- Bachelor’s degree / Master’s degree in relevant discipline preferred (Business, Supply Chain Management, Sales & Marketing etc.), a combination of education and relevant experience also accepted
This position can work out of the Bay Area (Oakland) or Remote U.S.
At Fair Trade USA, we are a values-based and performance-driven organization, in service of our core mission. We are deeply committed to fostering an environment that is built on the principles of JEDI; a just, equitable, diverse and inclusive community for all. We are committed to upholding an inclusive workplace where all people feel equally respected and valued, and where we can all thrive. We are a proud equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants from every educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, race, ethnicity, national origin and ancestry, veteran status, marital or family status and disability.
We believe in empowering our teams to do their best work and thrive at Fair Trade USA. We offer a comprehensive compensation approach including salary, performance-based bonus and employee recognition awards, and a generous and thoughtful approach to employee benefits, including health, vision and dental insurance, comprehensive PTO, flexible and remote work opportunities, professional development, wellbeing programs and a paid sabbatical program.
Additionally, as a mission-based organization, we recognize the deep impact that can occur for our employees to travel and witness first-hand the work of our teams and producer, fisher and farming communities globally. We offer travel awards and paid global travel experiences for employees. Additionally, we demonstrate our commitment to employees’ growth and impact by offering a fully-paid sabbatical opportunity for employees.