IT Enterprise Architect, Customer & Commerce
- London, United Kingdom
- Closing date
- 27 Jun 2022
Founded in 1856 by Thomas Burberry, Burberry is a global luxury brand with a distinctly British attitude. We are a global business with an extensive network of both owned and franchised stores across EMEIA, Asia Pacific and Americas. We are digital pioneers, and innovative technology underpins every aspect of our business, from product design to distribution and marketing. We believe that modern luxury means being socially and environmentally responsible; this mindset is core to our business and key to our long-term success.
This role is for an owner of the architecture of our Customer & Digital Platform, which consists of capabilities and technologies that underpin all our customer centric services. You will be responsible for setting the future direction of these capabilities, all supporting technology decisions and outlining a roadmap that meets the strategic needs of Burberry.
You will have a collaborative approach, at the intersection of business and IT, to develop solutions that meet our Digital Ambition & Retail strategy goals and lead a data-driven and customer-centric approach to deliver solutions in key markets like China, that require a more localised approach. You will have a balanced approach to delivery priorities and governance, understanding how risk can support prioritisation discussions.
The purpose of the role is to ensure that the architecture for this Platform is:
- Being cohesive and consistent across the IT estate and our Tower model, seamless integration to multiple systems, and third-party products, services and applications.
- Meeting the future needs of our business and is flexible and adaptive to address changing demand.
- Meeting the functional and non-functional requirements of the Business and IT.
- Being responsive to the business needs, both globally and locally where relevant.
- Promoting the re-use of components, techniques and standards across delivery projects.
- Supporting delivery project to balance the business and IT demands of the platform.
- Ensuring delivery and the platforms are compliant with the relevant Burberry architectural principles.
The Burberry Customer & Digital Platforms are global in nature and consists of a number of functional capabilities and core applications. The accountability of this domain covers:
- Commerce (Digital Merchandising, Order Capture and Payment, O2O).
- Digital Experience (including Visual Merchandising and Content Management) and Social interactions.
- POS, Retail store and Wholesale Management related technologies.
- Customer Journey Touchpoints.
- Customer Engagement services (namely CRM from Insight, through Marketing to Service).
- Personalisation (including Customer Data foundations and master data management).
A good understanding of these capabilities and associated applications is strongly preferred. The Platforms will continue to evolve and other capabilities / applications will need to be assessed and included as appropriate. It is expected that a subset of the platform capabilities can be devolved to team members, reporting into this EA role as line manager.
The role will report to a VP-level steerco and retain visibility at the CIO and senior leadership level within Burberry.
- Produce, evolve and refine the Customer & Digital Platform architectures.
- Act in the role of Principal Architect and partner with our Principal Engineer, supporting our goals for internal digital development.
- Being a guardian of 2-3 year roadmaps, provide technology foresight and ensure consistency across all areas within scope of this role and across EA.
- Set a vision and influence senior stakeholders through quantitative and qualitative reasoning.
- Drive the Customer Data foundations to enable insight and foresight from our Analytics Platform.
- Define and agree relevant Design Principles.
- Engage with and manage key vendors and keep in touch with market trends and direction.
- Engage and direct any 'Proof of Concept' or prototyping of applications and solutions.
- Raise and resolve any architectural issues/risks and issues associated with the Platforms and throughout the lifecycle of any delivery projects.
- Ensure that delivery projects plan for all required technical governance, reviews, sign-offs and checkpoints.
- Engage suppliers and partners in order to leverage their capabilities fully and achieve the most appropriate deployment of their technology and products as possible
- Provide governance during project build and test phases to ensure compliance with and appropriateness of the architecture
- Ensure that the aspects of the architecture are fit-for-purpose from a technical and business perspective.
- Ensure the logical and physical architecture remains bound by commercial, business and technical constraints.
- Work with the IT Security function to ensure any solution meet the needs of our security standards and principles.
- Ensure that operational and supportability guidelines are factored into the construction of the solution - this will include liaison with live service and service management to ensure that they understand the implications of the design.
- Being a Line Manager to other team members, where defined, work to help with the talent development and career planning.
- Keen collaborator working closely with Digital product, Marketing, Data, IT and Finance leadership.
- Clear point of view on state of the art technology strategy (Cloud native, mobile first, data driven and service based).
- Solid understanding of digital landscape globally including China with a clear point of view on possibilities ahead.
- Critical to success in this position is customer-focused communication and being a great story-teller for audiences across the organisation on digital and technology strategy.
- An understanding of business processes & challenges and using entrepreneurial thinking to create solutions through business process re-architecture and/or technology.
- An excellent understanding of CRM, Digital Marketing & Experience Platforms and eCommerce business capabilities and solutions is an important function of this role.
- All-round experience of a range of technology solutions and a good understanding of the full-lifecycle of enterprise delivery projects.
- Being innovative and engaging with our teams who manage the innovation pipeline across IT.
Burberry is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.
Posting Notes: United Kingdom || Not Applicable || London || IT || DIGITAL || n/a ||
Founded in 1856, Burberry today remains quintessentially British, with outerwear at its core. Digital luxury positioning and intensive focus on design innovation, quality and heritage icons of the trench coat, trademark check and Prorsum knight, ensure continued brand purity and relevance globally across genders and generations.
At Burberry, every individual, every team and every function, shares an incredible passion for the brand and is guided by a ‘brand-first’ mind-set. Decisions are evaluated through the lens of the long-term health and vitality of the Burberry brand.
Burberry believes that in order to be a great brand it must also be a great company. Inspired by three Core Values - Protect, Explore, Inspire - rooted in the brand’s heritage and continually informing its guiding principles, Burberry leverages its compassionate and creative thinking culture to continually innovate and drive the brand forward.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert