Freelance Senior Womenswear Designer
- Studio Nicholson
- Hackney, London (Greater)
- Closing date
- 8 Dec 2021
- Design - Garments & Accessories
- Contract Type
We are looking for a freelance senior womenswear designer to work on a 3-month contract for a full-time project in the Studio.
Research and Design
- Directly supporting the Creative Director in the creation of a Women’s Ready-To-Wear project.
- Researching new trends and developing creative proposals that are in line with the Brand’s strategy, translating these into products in line with the seasonal concept direction
- Design a seasonal womenswear collection according to the seasonal brief given by Creative Director.
- Respond creatively to projects in whichever medium appropriate, drape, collage, maquette mock up.
- A keen eye for details and attention to the functionality of the product
- Responsible for creating sketches, technical drawings of external and internal details and specifications.
- Committing to commercial constraints of the brand, responding to comments from the Sales and Merchandising teams.
- To ensure cost and commerciality is considered when designing
- Present in all fitting womenswear prototypes and samples for the project.
- Be able to work to a commercial Range Plan, collaborating with the Merchandising team on bestseller management, Essential product and seasonal newness
- Communicate, implement and manage information relating to design in a timely way to ensure smooth handover and achieve on-time delivery of proto and SMS collections.
- Support the Design and Development team to pass all relevant and appropriate information; clearly and concisely so they can communicate to the manufacturer or complete their own tasks.
- To clearly communicate designs to pattern cutters so they can effectively produce in house patterns and toiles. Advising priority based on design needs.
- Keeping all seasonal fabric to sketches updated at all times so that all teams can access relevant information at all times
- Responsible for meeting key design deadlines on time according to the critical path for the project.
- Ensure that the meetings required with the Creative Director are arranged in line with the collection needs.
- Work as part of a strong and dynamic team
Reporting to the Creative Director
Based in our London Studio
- 7-10 years of experience in Fashion Design with 3 full year of experience in Womenswear Design
- Ability to translate trends into a commercial collection with a contemporary handwriting
• Excellent hand drawing skills
• Excellent knowledge of software such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop;
• Fabric and material knowledge;
• Highly skilled in creative research and knowledge of trends and competitors;
• Creative, flexible, and determined team player, able to handle stress;
• Fluent in English; both written and verbal
• Degree and/or diploma in Fashion Design with excellent knowledge of History of Art, Costume and Fashion;
• Previous experience in luxury good companies.
Armed with two decades of industry experience as a successful designer, Nick Wakeman launched the first Studio Nicholson collection in 2010. Nick is renowned for her utilisation of superior fabrics, she honed her skills studying Textile Design at Chelsea School of Art in London. She continues her pursuit to work with only with the best materials available. Drawing inspiration from Japanese culture, architecture and interiors, Nick creates considered pieces that are carefully engineered to provide structure and elegance, forming the basis for the ultimate modular wardrobe. Working closely with experienced manufacturers in Italy, Portugal, Japan and the UK, Studio Nicholson garments are produced by specialists who intrinsically understand the ethos of the brand, and the perfection Nick strives for.
5, Calvert Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert