Senior Director of Tech Design
The Sr. Director of Technical Services leads the Technical Design and is a critical forward-facing role for Nili Lotan This role ensures product is consistent with brand fit & quality standards and seasonal design concepts for all categories. He/she/they leverage skills in grading/specifications, fit construction, fabrics, sewing operations, pattern making, and leadership skills in the fulfillment of these objectives. As a leader within the Production Development team, the Director participates in all applicable companywide initiatives.
Overview of Responsibilities
This key role works with the design and product development teams to develop fit from initial stages through to production, including working from the initial design sketch/ Vintage Pieces, through construction, specs, and the development of detailed technical fit packages in RLM.
This Person for RTW must have experience conducting fittings on both live models and fit forms and able to clearly communicate all fit comments and corrections to both Domestic and offshore offices and suppliers through technical sketches, patterns, samples, and garment specifications and able to provide insight, feedback, and resolution to the design and product teams while resolving fit issues.
Key areas of Expertise
- Develop and update the technical specifications to complete the design tech packs. Assist design in putting together tech packs for proto development and publish tech packs.
- Collaborate with product and design teams, understand the vision, and provide technical expertise, by being solutions oriented and offering alternatives to the design team without compromising the look.
- Review proto samples, design and fit intent and patterns and suggest adjustments as necessary.
- Review and inspect samples before fit sessions ensuring all requirements have been met. Attend fittings prepared with all related information from the previous fitting, i.e., fit comments, sample, etc.
- Conduct fittings, pinning the garment, resolving any fit issues, and demonstrating to the design/product teams that the corrections being applied will result in the desired look.
- Collaborate with Product Development, Pattern Makers, and Sample Makers to ensure fit approvals for all styles in relevant category are approved in a timely manner and quality is up to Nili Lotan standards.
- Communicate with domestic and offshore offices and suppliers on all technical issues, providing technical expertise on how to correct or achieve a desired look and provide detailed feedback on samples. Ensure that there is a correlation between the correction requested and the final spec.
- Make sure proportions are maintained throughout the size range, adjusting when necessary for smaller or larger sizes. Update and release graded specs upon garment approval.
- Travel when required to fit product with Domestic/offshore office and suppliers. Visit suppliers and work with pattern makers and technical staff to make sure that requirements are understood.
- Manage to the development / production calendar and provide any potential deadline issues that may result in not meeting set deadlines. Independently prioritize workload based on production timeline and deliverables.
- Schedule appropriate fit models for fittings.
- Set standards and consistency across products/categories
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in Technical Design, pattern making, garment construction and fitting experience in specific category experience required
- Bachelor’s Degree in related area preferred
- Able to lead and conduct fittings on live models as well as on fit forms
- Strong knowledge of fit and how to execute and improve the fit of a garment.
- Strong computer skills, PDF, and Word experience; previous experience with RLM/PLM a plus
- Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner – strong written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy, with strong organizational skills
- Flexible/adaptable in a fast-paced and high-growth environment
- Must be English-proficient to communicate effectively with internal and external partners.
- Forward thinking and strategic planning regarding management of the product development process
- Lead competitive fit analysis and report findings to cross functional leadership team
- Partner with Team managers, Technical Designers, and CFTs to create/update block fits for each category
- Support teams in resolving complex fit and construction issues while upholding vendor and cross functional relationships.
- Mentor, train & develop teams.
- Create and share resources and tools to educate team on standards and processes. Drive consistency in methodology and product
- Educate and enforce company grade rules, tolerances, and quality standards.
- Adaptable to change and flexible as company is continually evolving
- Changes course easily – Knows when to be patient and when to push – Works well in the gray – Shows grace under pressure – Owns mistakes and learns from them – Balances multiple priorities
- Entrepreneurial Spirit – Own it
- Takes initiative, doesn’t wait for direction – Builds for the future – Takes personal ownership and accountability – Is resourceful in getting things done