The Sr. Technical Designer is a critical forward-facing role for Nili Lotan This role ensures product is consistent with brand fit & quality standards and seasonal design concepts for all categories. He/she/they leverage skills in grading/specifications, fit construction, fabrics, sewing operations, and pattern making in the fulfillment of these objectives. As a team member within the Production Development team, the Technical Designer participates in all applicable companywide initiatives.
We are looking for a Sr Technical Designer for women’s RTW categories jackets, outerwear, dresses, tops, bottoms, Leather and Shearling that will work with design and product development teams to develop fit from the initial stages through to production, including working from the initial design sketch or Vintage Inspiration through preparation of construction specs and the development of detailed technical fit packages in RLM.
This position requires experience with pattern making and garment construction. The Sr. Technical Designer possesses demonstrated ability to conduct fittings on live models as well as on fit forms. He/she is responsible for communicating fit comments and corrections to Domestic/offshore offices and suppliers. The ability to communicate through technical sketches, patterns, samples, and garment specifications as well as written and verbal forms is a must clearly and concisely. This individual is responsible for resolving fit issues, to conduct fit sessions while providing insight, feedback and resolution to the design and product teams.
- Develop and update the technical specifications to complete the design tech packs. Assist design in putting together tech packs for proto development and publish tech packs in RLM.
- Collaborate with product and design teams, understand the vision, and provide technical expertise, by foreseeing problems and offering alternatives to the design team without compromising the look.
- Support teams in resolving complex fit and construction issues while upholding vendor and cross functional relationships
- Review proto samples, design and fit intent and patterns and suggest adjustments as necessary.
- Critique samples before a fit session ensuring all set requirements have been met. Come prepared to fittings with all related information from the previous fitting, i.e. fit comments, sample, etc.
- Conduct fittings, pinning the garment, resolving any fit issues and demonstrating to the design/product teams that the corrections being applied will result in the desired look.
- Collaborate on assigned team of Product Development members, Pattern Makers, and Sample Makers to ensure fit approvals for all styles in relevant category are being approved in a timely manner and quality is up to Tory Burch standards.
- Communicate with the offshore offices and suppliers on all technical issues, providing technical expertise on how to correct or achieve a desired look and giving detailed feedback on samples. Ensure that there is a correlation between the correction requested and the final spec.
- Make sure proportions are maintained throughout the size range, making adjustments when necessary for smaller or larger sizes. Update and release graded specs upon garment approval.
- Travel when required to fit product with domestic/offshore office and suppliers. Visit suppliers and work with pattern makers and technical staff to make sure that requirements are understood.
- Manage to the development / Production calendar and surface any deadline issues that may result in not meeting set deadlines. Prioritize workload based on production timeline and deliverables.
- Schedule appropriate fit models for fittings.
- Set standards and consistency across products
- Understanding of cross functional teams and implications
- 8+ years’ experience in Technical Design, pattern making, garment construction and fitting experience.
- Capability to lead and conduct fittings on live models as well as on fit forms
- Strong knowledge of fit and how to execute and improve the fit of a garment.
- Possess good computer skills, PDF, and Word experience, RLM a plus.
- Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner – strong written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy, with strong organizational skills
- Flexible/adaptable in a fast-paced and high-growth environment
- Must be English-proficient to communicate effectively with internal and external partners.
- Highly motivated to advance the goals of the technical department.
- Able to organize and prioritize workload independently.
- Adaptable – Change before you must
- Changes course easily – Knows when to be patient and when to push – Works well in the gray – Can function under pressure – Balances multiple priorities
- Entrepreneurial Spirit –
- Takes initiative, doesn’t wait for direction – Is resourceful in getting things done
- Create partnerships with cross-functional team members to develop strategies, maintain deadlines, and resolve issues.
- Forward thinking and strategic planning regarding management of the product development process.
- Create and share resources and tools to educate team on standards and processes. Drive consistency in methodology and product.
- Educate and enforce company grade rules, tolerances, and quality standards.
- Ensure fit consistency within each brand and across vendors.