An exciting opportunity for a creative and driven person to join the Emma J Shipley brand at a time of fast growth. We are a premium British lifestyle brand known for imaginative, colourful hand-drawn prints inspired by nature. Creations include home furnishings, scarves, and accessories to spark the imagination. We are building a global lifestyle brand, and this person will be a key part of the team to achieve this. This person will design and execute our growing range of products, always considering quality, innovation, sustainability & ethics.
This person will report to Emma, the CEO/Founder, and be based at our Shoreditch, London HQ. Part-time and full-time applications will be considered.
Design & inspiration
- Work across all products from soft furnishings to ceramics, tech accessories & more
- Extensively research product ideas & the market, come up with new ideas for products that are in line with our brand values – regular comp shops and trade show visits
- Design and develop a balanced product portfolio according to EJS strategy and brand values working alongside our Director of Product on range plans. Creating collections that are high quality & well priced in the market
- Use valuable customer insights and data to assist in the design process to develop successful products
- Take the drawings created by Emma and create print-ready artworks
- Design & execute packaging for all products
- Create detailed and organised sampling and production instructions (including tech sheets and sketches) for suppliers
- Create new colourways of both new and existing designs
- Balance creativity and an innovative approach to design with a commercial mindset
Sourcing & development
- Call in samples and assist with decisions on materials, processes and product specs
- Create critical paths, build relationships & communicate well with suppliers to ensure deadlines are met
- Liaise with factories, review samples & give feedback to create final products which meet brand, costing, sustainability and factory requirements
- Travel to visit suppliers when beneficial to do so
- Ensure excellent quality and brand standards are always upheld
- Source excellent quality, ethical suppliers to work with
Above all, create outstanding, desirable products that excite & delight, to be treasured for years to come!
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Is someone who has:
- 3+ years of design/product development experience across hard and soft goods in an interiors or gift brand
- Relevant degree at 2:1 or higher from a respected UK or international institution
- A driven self-starter & problem solver
- Great interpersonal & communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- A quick learner who takes initiative
- Excellent computer skills - including experience with Apple computers, advanced skills in Adobe suite.
- Excellent technical drawing ability
- Exceptional and instinctive colour skills
- Knowledge of texture, materials and form to design excellent products
- Passionate about sustainability
- Team player with initiative, ability to prioritise, multi-task without sacrificing attention to detail
- Strong organisational, project management, and follow-through skills.
- Keen interest in design / interiors / nature, and a passion for the Emma J Shipley brand
Extra brownie points:
- Experience in a high-end interior product brand
- Experience working with relevant suppliers
- An understanding of the problems facing small businesses and the ability to implement appropriate solutions.
Key traits you might have:
- A problem-sover
- Meticulous attention-to-detail and proactive approach to work
- Well organised, with a positive attitude and brimming with ideas
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Team player with a professional and friendly attitude
We look for people who appreciate how we do things at EJS:
- Be entrepreneurial and passionate
- Be customer-focused
- Be proactive and find or be the solution to a problem
- Be team player and get stuck in
- Take pride in what you do and the quality you deliver
- Treat people the way you would want to be treated
Perks: Bonus Package. Seasonal shopping allowance plus discount on all EJS products. There is the potential for hybrid working for this role.
Emma J Shipley is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment on the basis of their individual capabilities and qualifications ensuring a strong corporate commitment to diversity and inclusion. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application to assist you through the recruitment process.
If you're a passionate self-starter who wants to join a small but fast-growing company and make your mark, we'd love to hear from you.
Apply with your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org