Resident Jewellery Expert
Role: Resident jewellery expert
Location: London / Copenhagen / remote
Finematter is a VC-backed tech start-up, on a mission to digitalize the EUR 300bn+ jewellery market, one of the last remaining analog industries in the global retail landscape.
As a marketplace, our ambition is twofold;
- Create the leading online destination for fine jewellery. We want to redefine the category as we know it, and transform the way people think about and buy jewellery - taking jewellery from consumption good to investment asset
- Help creative entrepreneurs in the jewellery industry scale beyond one store. We want to build the new operating system for the entire industry, and solve the most complex challenges for maker-CEOs, from certification and inventory management to pricing and raw material cost hedging.
The scale of the opportunity is enormous. People have bought and traded in jewellery since the beginning of time, and in most cultures, people’s most significant life events are celebrated and eternalized with jewellery. The global jewellery market is valued at more than EUR 300bn, and we’re building a modular end-to-end technology platform to connect makers with buyers all across the globe and change the way this market operates today.
With offices in London and Copenhagen, Finematter has its roots in Scandinavian design with a global outlook. We’re currently a team of 12 experienced people with backgrounds in the jewellery and fashion industry, as well as successful startups and companies (Just Eat, Amazon, Farfetch, Burberry, Pandora, McKinsey, Thread, etc).
Finematter is backed by some of Europe’s leading VC funds and investors, including Heartcore Capital, Henrik Holmark (former CFO of Pandora) and Nicole Vanderbilt (former MD of Etsy), and includes mega-influencer Pernille Teisbæk as a Creative Advisor.
Finematter.com is looking for a Resident Jewellery Expert to work with us on a consultancy basis.
We’re looking for a person who’s been immersed in the world of fine jewellery for all or most of their career, and who is excited about shaking up the industry, help bust some of the long-lived myths of our space, and help educate a new digitally-native generation of shoppers about the finer points of jewellery.
We are looking for a certified gemologist, with a strong practical track record in either jewellery manufacturing, authentication and/or appraising,
As our Resident Jewellery Expert, you will be involved in
- Expert content development - take part in creating educational videos and articles about jewellery
- Tech product development - i.e. providing expertise to guide the design of new features on Finematter.com
- Jewellery reviews - form an opinion on jewellery pieces, evaluating metals & gemstones, craft, design, provenance, etc.
If you feel like you’d be a good fit for some, but not all, of these areas, we’d love to hear from you still.
We expect you to have:
- 6+ years of jewellery industry experience
- GIA Graduate Gemologist diploma
- Undergraduate degree in silversmithing, metal work or equivalent
- Advanced technical expertise, incl. gemological and metals identification
- Clear understanding of the jewellery supply chain and manufacturing principles
- Not required, but a plus: secondary market appraising experience
We’re looking for someone with availability 4-10 days / month, with flexibility around scheduling (e.g. both weekdays/weekends, daytime/evening time).