Technical Designer - Product Development
Unique opportunity to work for a growing artisan-driven, and sustainable women’s swim and resort wear brand. Made entirely and responsibly in Africa, with a core mission of preserving the local art of weaving in Ethiopia and inspiring economic growth on the continent. Highly creative work environment, with hybrid in-office /work from home schedule and includes a clothing allowance.
This role is responsible for the entire product design process including calendar, budget, sourcing, specing, and fitting; as well as managing design projects independently, and collaboratively with the Design, Production and Sales departments.
- Organize workflow based on delivery and production time and action calendar.
- Communicate and manage calendar across internal teams to ensure timely turnover of
market samples and placement of final production.
- Maintain, monitor and report seasonal design budget.
- Manage and submit invoices to accounting
- Coordinate with manufacturing partners and Vendors to deliver on calendar and within
timeliness for all SMS.
- Oversee issuance of BOMs/tech packs for accuracy, completeness and quality
- Manage the handover of clean TPs to manufacturing partners on behalf of design;
communicate daily with overseas and domestic suppliers on questions and changes.
- Partner with Production and contribute to costing and yield of each style with
- Partner with Merchandising to monitor and review sketch to merch plan to help prevent
- As needed work closely with design on fabric development.
- As needed, source trims and fabric that are brand appropriate and price conscious
- Measure and prepare garments and tech packs for fittings
- Conduct fit sessions on live models, review overall fit, and confirm all details of the
- Responsible for correcting and approving fit and construction for each fit sample.
- Communicate fit revisions and comments to overseas vendors in a technical package format
- Daily email communication with internal team and factories / vendors
- Maintain a library of approved samples and patterns.
- 3-5+ years of experience in Technical Design
- Excellent knowledge of Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Extensive knowledge of garment construction in swim and woven preferred
- Extensive knowledge of fit and how to make accurate corrections to eliminate fit issues
- Excellent time management skills to manage team workflow
- Basic understanding of grading and patterns
- Able to work collaboratively as a team player within the department and cross functional
- Self-starter personality; driven by deadlines with a high sense of urgency
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills