Cut & Sew, Menswear Design Intern
The Cut & Sew, Menswear Design Intern will work directly with the Junior Designers, Director, and Product Development to assist in the design process across multiple categories. The Cut & Sew, Menswear Design Intern will balance creative tasks with basic maintenance and organization of the Unisex/Mens/Cut&Sew/Print&Graphics departments.
The Cut & Sew, Menswear Design Intern will support the Associate Designer, Designer, and Director in the following areas:
- Assist in creating Photoshop sketches, garment construction and silhouette proposals.
- Coordinate and establish all SMS reference swatches, colorways and standards.
- Assist design team to develop, coordinate, track and follow-up with print, wash and special technique development both domestically and overseas.
- Assist design team with CADs of prints and graphics.
- Coordinate and track all vintage / archive samples and swatch rentals while managing the vintage log.
- Research together with the design team at the library, archives and vintage resources to contribute to presentations.
- Participate and take notes in all design meetings.
- Attend, participate and take notes at all proto sample and SMS fittings.
- Prepare and track in house samples for styling, line review and market.
- Assist team to update and maintain presentation boards.
- Update flat sketches, artworks, swatches, fit photos, inspiration photos and SMS colorway samples (either swatches or CAD representations).
- Assist team to maintain thumbnails.
- Contribute design details to seasonal Product Knowledge Book.
- Organize and maintain wash library.
- Pickup daily parcels, organize and maintain workspaces, coordinate off-site trips, update sketches for RLM input, coordinate reference draping, coordinate swatch making, coordinate construction reference swatches.
- Assist technical design team with development tech packs during peak crunch-time.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Fashion Design.
- 0 – 1 year of experience, or strong internship experience.
- Ability to hand sketch. Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Experience with InDesign a plus, but not required.
- Proficient sewing skills.
- Sense of color and print.
- Basic understanding of technical packages.
- Strong time management, ability to prioritize multiple deadlines.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.