Finance and Operations Director
Benefits: 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, flexible hours and hybrid working (minimum of 3 days per week office-based), subsidised gym membership, company pension, staff discount on Dora Larsen product.
Responsibilities: Drive the growth of the Company with a credible financing strategy and advice. Provide the leadership team with accurate, timely financial information to ensure an agile and well-informed decision-making ecosystem. Establish a strong financial management and controls environment to ensure an efficient, effective finance function. Oversee the end-to-end logistics and operational elements of the business.
About you: Chartered accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA etc.) with 7+ year’s post-qualification experience; including a proven track record in a senior finance position (2+ years tenure in a financial controller role or above). Experience in the fashion and/or start-up space. Happy mucking in with Excel and Xero accounting when needed. An enthusiastic, “start-up” mentality is essential.
About Dora Larsen
Founded in 2016, Dora Larsen is high-growth start-up lingerie brand, selling both wholesale and direct to consumer online. Dora Larsen’s mission is to provide comfortable, technically excellent lingerie that’s, at the same time, elevated and exciting to wear. We create stand-out pieces in unique colour palettes, combined with a fresh, contemporary design aesthetic. Dora Larsen pieces lift the mood and make the wearer feel inspired and exhilarated. Our aim is to bring an authentic confidence and comfort to our customers.
The brand was founded by Georgia Larsen, an ex-lingerie and fashion buyer. Georgia now runs the brand alongside husband, Jake, who’s previous experience is in finance, having qualified with Deloitte in the audit and advisory space. Following the successful hire for this role, Jake will be reducing his direct involvement in the finance and operations side of the business to focus on his role as CEO/Founder.
Jake and Georgia are strongly invested in the brand’s sustainability mission. Whilst Dora Larsen, like the wider fashion industry, is by no means perfect, we strive to ensure that the brand’s resources – its business choices, its voice and its people – are supporting the changes required to better protect the planet. It’s at the forefront of everything we do.
The brand is at an exciting point in its growth. Several new projects are in the pipeline, including product line and geographic expansions, which are set to take the business to the next level over the coming years and we are looking for an enthusiastic, passionate, experienced finance and operations professional to join us on this journey.
Dora Larsen is looking for a commercially minded Finance and Operations Director. This newly created role provides an opportunity to make a significant contribution to the company’s growth. In this role, you’ll be responsible for managing the end-to-end finance and operations of the business, including the company’s financing strategy, the provision of high-quality financial information and performance indicators to management and the design and implementation of efficient, scalable business processes and controls to compliment the company’s growth.
You will report directly to the Founders and you will be responsible for overseeing a small Finance and Operations team, including a Coordinator and an Assistant.
- Provide strategic financial leadership, insight and advice.
- Prepare commercially focused financial reporting for the senior management team in order to provide critical insight and support the decision-making ecosystem.
- Manage and prepare annual plans, quarterly re-forecasts, quarterly cash-flows and budget plans.
- Develop longer-term business plans and projections, incorporating strategic projects and expansion plans.
- Oversee the logistics and operational elements of the business, including HR.
- Process payroll.
- Take ownership of all statutory HMRC and Companies’ House filings and deadlines.
- Design, implement and perform ongoing monitoring of financial and operational processes and controls.
- Plan and manage the raising of funds from new and existing investors, as required.
- Oversee the set-up of new operational structures, e.g. 3rd party logistics providers and supply chains, in line with expansion strategies and growth projects.
- Manage and develop the members of the Finance and Operations team.
- ACA, ACCA, CIMA, or equivalent, qualified.
- 7+ years’ post qualification experience.
- 2+ years’ continuous tenure in a senior finance/operations position (financial controller or above).
- Strong commercial acumen.
- Highly proficient Excel user.
- Excellent communicator, with experience communicating with and supporting senior stakeholders.
- Experience working for a start-up.
- Experience using Xero cloud accounting software, or similar, desirable.
- Fashion and/or retail industry experience, preferable.