Assistant Manager, Material R&D (Handbag)
- Attend relevant trade fairs and trend shows and conduct competitor shopping and inspiration with the design team, as needed (research and analyze market trends).
- Develop ACC R&D process, including timelines and requirements to inject into seasonal collections and own and manage the R&D calendar.
- Understand creative thinking process by working with creative & design directors to ensure innovation/newness.
- Ensure effective pricing/costing and quality assurance.
- Responsible for managing and monitoring physical & digital material & hardware libraries (including usage tracking).
- Develop, report, and proactively manage R&D KPIs (including R&D capacity planning btw factories and design).
- Focus on newness: support design/PD in trials/testing, etc.
- Interpret and develop design teams' ideas from concept and idea to samples/swatches (technical PD knowledge).
- Create synergies across categories (apparel, softs, etc.).
- Source and develop material/trims/hardware (with suitable price points).
- Ensure products are developed correctly, with workable lead times for development and on-time delivery.
- Understanding of seasonal calendar deadlines/timelines.
- Liaising with BO teams and direct vendors on material developments/projects.
- Ensure alignment with cross-functional teams across the R&D function (i.e., design, PD, material team, and central trims).
- Perform other duties assigned by management.
- Graduate in fashion-oriented degree (preferred).
- At least 10 years' experience within a fashion (accessories focus) development environment with technical material/PD background.
- Experience working in EU fashion market.
- Fluency in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Strong technical material and PD knowledge (e.g., textile, leather, non-leather, trims, hardware, etc.).
- Strong understanding of design industry and fashion brand awareness.
- Experience working with international brands and international designers.
- Solution and action oriented with ability to thrive in a fast-paced, complex environment.
- Highly organized, process/structure oriented, with understanding of key project management principles.
- Ability to work within a product lifecycle management system (i.e., PLM).
- Strong creative thinking skills with understanding of sustainability and innovation (a PLUS)