The Business of Fashion is seeking a talented and versatile Senior Designer to join our Studio team. Reporting to our Head of Studio and working closely with the CEO and Founder, the Senior Designer’s role is to ensure BoF’s creative output is exceptional across all outputs.
With your strong background in graphic design, you’ll relish a hands-on role that includes responsibility for everything from our market-leading events to our definitive editorial reports and digital story-telling.
Who Are We?
The Business of Fashion (BoF) is a next generation fashion media company conceived for today's global and hyper-connected world. Founded in 2007 by Imran Amed, BoF is known for its authoritative, agenda-setting point of view on the global fashion industry, described as “The Economist of Fashion,” “A Daily Destination for Fashion’s Power Players” and “The Industry Bible.”
Providing tools and services to support the journey through the fashion and beauty industries, including News & Analysis, Careers, and Education, BoF has grown to be an indispensable resource for fashion executives, creatives, students and entrepreneurs in over 200 countries.
Commitment to Diversity
BoF is committed to building a diverse workforce and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunities employer. All applicants and employees receive equal treatment regardless of race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity.
Commitment to Inclusivity
BoF is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work and reach their full potential within their roles using a growth mindset. We are committed to creating an inclusive culture for our employees globally.
What We Need You To Do
This is a collaborative role, interfacing with many teams at BoF including Editorial, Technology, Social, Marketing and Commercial. Along with a Junior Designer, you’ll direct on all creative development throughout the year spanning our website, events, podcasts, social media and marketing. You’ll deliver exceptional work that meets objectives, as well as pushing the brand forward visually. The role requires creative vision, a versatile skill set, and impeccable execution, as well as an even temperament and the ability to perform under pressure when deadlines get tight.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Establish and maintain BoF’s aesthetic coherence and impact across all channels
- Strategically develop all our brand visuals for both BoF as a whole and our major products: BoF Professional, BoF Careers, various BoF events
- Work closely with the Technology and UX teams on design elements of the BoF website
- Art direct key components of major BoF events including our flagship event VOICES
- Create concepts for special editorial projects, including commissioning of any photography or illustration, eg new podcasts, special reports
- Oversee all marketing needs e.g. new product launch campaigns, weekly emails and paid marketing assets
- Provide outstanding visuals to accompany written stories
- Consult on projects with other teams across film, audio, animation and digital
- Create presentations or sales decks that best tell our compelling stories
- Manage one junior designer and coach other members of the Studio team in design thinking
- Commission creative talent for various projects
- Manage external contacts including photographers, illustrators and freelancers
- Work with the Head of Studio to develop strong internal processes and procedures
- Build strong, professional and collaborative relationships with other teams, advocating design thinking and the importance of our brand identity
- Promote a culture of excellence through your outstanding design skills and attention to detail
Who you are
You are a passionate and dedicated graphic designer with a background in digital design. You will be a strong creative and conceptual thinker, embedded in the fashion or media landscape, who will relish developing our brand visuals across the board, from the highest profile projects to the regular marketing needs. Entrepreneurial in mindset and thriving in fast-paced environments, you’re passionate about what you do and have a meticulous eye for detail.
Outside of that, you will have the following skills that will help set you up for success:
- A passionate approach to your creative work, whilst also being pragmatic about business needs and objectives
- An excellent understanding of layout and love for typography
- A ‘can-do’ attitude, high performance under pressure and a strong sense of accountability
- Exposure to managing a small team and collaborating with creative freelancers
You’ll Know You’re Successful When…
- You have successfully evolved the BoF brand identity and achieved consistency across all touch points
- Creative projects are delivered seamlessly by you and your high-performing team, and you’re incredibly joined up with other creative teams in the business
- Hiccups are practically non-existent owing to your high attention to detail, but if they do occur, your proactive problem solving skills and ability to perform well under pressure negate issues
- Feedback from our CEO and other teams in the business is outstanding