Director of Production
Peter Millar was founded in 2001 with a single cashmere sweater. Through this initial garment, an ethos emerged to embody luxury, elegance and a dedication to superior craftsmanship. Today the brand has grown to include luxury performance sportswear, seasonal resort apparel, refined tailored clothing, and sartorial accessories. Each offering features the finest raw materials and fabric innovations while utilizing the world’s best yarn spinners, artisanal workshops and highly specialized factories.
The Director of Production (Procurement) is responsible for overseeing the production life cycle from the time of development handoff to receipt of product into the DC and for managing Production Managers on the team as their direct supervisor. This candidate will foster interdepartmental communication and manage large scale cross-functional projects while communicating closely with the design and planning teams. This position will be ultimately responsible for Peter Millar’s relationship with both overseas and domestic vendors and must have the requisite amount of experience in problem solving production issues in a highly dynamic environment. This role assists with providing key performance indicators to the VP of Production and communicating this information to internal teams and to vendors. This candidate must possess the ability to see the bigger picture and evolve overall department processes and efficiencies while providing support and guidance to the production team.
- Manage production process from design completion through to bulk production and receipt to the DC.
- Manage negotiation & review of costing with vendors and report increases in cost to VP of Production.
- Track and report quoted lead times, requested ex-factory dates and confirmed ex-factory dates with all vendors, manage communication with vendors on improvements where necessary and communicate issues to internal teams.
- Coordinate and communicate changes in Essential/Core costing with internal teams and Production Manager to flow to production specialists.
- Manage internal seasonal communication and sample distribution documentation to sales reps.
- Work with finance team to determine ramifications of variances from binding purchase orders.
- Develop and maintain a vendor scorecard program to conduct quarterly vendor/business reviews and coordinate with logistics and design to include their KPIs in scorecards.
- Meet weekly with peer Director to discuss, maintain and improve cross-brand functionality and efficiencies.
- Meet bi-weekly with Production Managers to review issues found from Specialist’s reporting and ensure reporting cadence is being followed.
- Provide feedback to the design team on costing, product needs and vendor relations.
- Work to reduce fabric surplus and surcharges throughout the season, verify end of season yardage & trim liabilities.
- Spearhead Production related technology projects with IT team in coordination with Production Program Coordinator.
- Work with planning team and VP Production to provide capacity plans to all vendors and track through the seasonal calendar.
- Continuously work to reduce lead times and improve the speed and flexibility of the inbound supply chain.
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Ability to adapt to highly entrepreneurial environment and respond to changes quickly
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills with focus on driving positive results to the bottom line
- Detail oriented; strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to manage and lead a team of managers and specialists ensuring employee growth and development
- Able to maintain and build effective relationships with cross-functional teams
- Proven project/timeline management skills
- BA or BS, or equivalent, in business or supply chain related field
- 7+ years’ production related experience
- 3-5 years’ experience with Blue Cherry or similar ERP, WMS knowledge, some EDI knowledge preferred
- 7+ years management experience leading a team
At Peter Millar we created a close-knit culture that thrives on the power of our people. Everyone knows that their team has their back and are willing to jump in and help when needed. We take care of our people through great benefits such as health insurance & 401(k), clothing allowances, generous Paid time off and employee discounted access to products.
If you are applying for this position through indeed or another 3rd party, please know we do not ask for any personal financial or confidential information prior to interviews. If you are contacted and asked to do this, please report this to the posting site immediately.