The Gemological Associate is responsible for grading and reviewing incoming diamonds in the Tiffany Gemological Laboratory to ensure Tiffany & Co. quality standards and processes are followed and that all system information is accurate. Making recommendations for purchase, repair or sale of diamonds and performing the associated operational responsibilities in order to ensure diamonds are dispositioned or accepted appropriately while maintaining quality and productivity requirements is also the responsibility of the Gemological Associate. Responsibilities:
- Apply Tiffany & Co. gemological standards in all aspects of Diamond Grading and Reviewing of both rounds and fancy shapes including: Color, Clarity, Fluorescence, Polish/ Symmetry & Proportions to ensure that diamonds meet Tiffany & Co. standards. This includes utilizing Tiffany & Co. custom technology and defined gemological guidelines to plot/update diamonds in specified shapes and weight ranges and complete evaluation of diamonds using the Sarine technology as needed. In addition, enter/update in Tiffany & Co. gemstone systems for all serialized diamonds accurately and expeditiously ensuring the integrity of diamond information is maintained.
- Responsible for participation in Lab and CODC ISO certification requirements including regularly scheduled verification of instruments and complete understanding and practice of the TGL and Chain of Diamond Custody Quality Policies and Objectives.
- Understand priorities and departmental projects as set forth by Diamond Division management and maintain projected productivity levels based on these priorities by completing the full Review process with efficiency and accuracy while applying appropriate TGL policies and procedures in all aspects of the process.
- Make procurement recommendations for all externally and internally sourced diamonds through the RTV process as well as Repair System procedures and work with QA/Repair on final quality assessments. Communicate with the Diamond Acquisition team and TGL Mgmt. on Purchase Orders, Pricing or Memo adjustments and operational issues ensuring that all system information is updated accurately. Communicate feedback to the TGL Mgmt. team in order to maintain adherence to lab procedures and technical alignment and provide results for the Performance Management process.
- Assist in other areas to achieve long and short term goals of the Diamond Division as necessary. This includes providing gemological or operational assistance in Operations, Weights & Measures, Melee, Review and QA & Repair departments.
- Maintain a good working atmosphere by adhering to the company's policies and procedures and maintaining professional conduct at all times. Work safely at all times by ensuring that safe work procedures within the diamond repair factory are consistently followed, as well as all safety procedures required at your worksite. Promptly report all incidents and safety issues to your supervisor.
- High School Degree
- Diamond Graduate Degree or equivalent
- 2-3 years Diamond Grading experience
- Operational Knowledge of: Microscope/Loupe; Millimeter Gauge; Color
- Grading process, Fluorescence grading
- Must be able to work with a microscope for extended periods
- Ability to work in detail with accuracy
- Ability to think strategically and independently
- Willing to work overtime as needed
- Proficiency in mathematical computations
- Proficiency in MS Office - Excel/Word/Outlook
- Must comply with all company policies & procedures including but not limited to: Safety; Confidentiality; Security;
- Must be flexible and willing to change responsibilities within the Department
- Graduate Gemologist Degree
- Bachelor or Associate Degree