Director, Social Media & Community
We have launched a new clean haircare brand with Jonathan Van Ness, American hairdresser, television personality, podcast host, actor and author. The brand de-genders and revolutionizes the haircare industry with the best performing sustainable products.
The global haircare market represents approximately 25% of the $300 billion beauty market and has experienced growth acceleration during 2020 with more than 50% of consumers choosing clean and sustainable haircare products. Enabled by its proprietary Lab-to-Market synthetic biology platform, Amyris has developed and produces some of the leading clean ingredients to lead the transformation of the haircare industry to a clean and sustainable future.
The JVN haircare brand launched Sept 2021 and offers unparalleled ingredient efficacy, clean formulas and packaging, with genuine inclusivity. The brand focuses on addressing hair health needs, will feature a proprietary Amyris ingredient, hemisqualane, a powerfully hydrating silicone-replacement that is effective across all hair textures.
The Social Media + Community Director will be responsible for driving the best social experience audience engagement across existing, new, and emerging platforms globally. This is a critical, innovative, and strategic role for the growing the 360 global JVN business across DTC digital, physical, and wholesale. This position will report to the Senior Director, Brand Strategy & Marketing.
- Partner with Head of Marketing, Founder, and VP/GM on developing overall social and community strategy and roadmap.
- Develop and supervise a social media team to grow followers and engagement for current channels and strategically map out future channels against a product launch pipeline, marketing and sales goals.
- Develop and execute upon a social and influencer marketing strategy and budget that optimizes growth, engagement and conversion while creating meaningful stories that uphold the JVN voice, aesthetic, and mission across the social space.
- Strategize and develop the brand’s social media channels—Instagram, TikTok, YouTube and future channels.
- Develop a complementary social strategy in tandem with the brand’s performance marketing agency, set against sales and customer acquisition goals.
- Embrace and own JVN’s unique brand positioning and voice while staying true to brand equity across all social content.
- Craft social storytelling that leads and disrupts the hair care industry, while aligning with the JVN mission and Amyris goals.
- Approach social storytelling with creativity, curiosity, and taste, and serve the community by taking a wholly inclusive approach to wellness and beauty that will create an earned media value.
- Design and execute best-in-class social customer programs including community and loyalty and including brand and influencer partnerships.
- Foster engagement and brand growth through timely and clever content and interaction, utilizing original creative and UGC while maintaining brand identity.
- Lead the planning, briefing and delivery of beauty content for JVN social media channels with an always on mentality.
- Drive video content ideas for paid and organic channels.
- Create content at the speed of culture to complement pre-planned content.
- Continuously enhance functionality across all social platforms.
- Use analytics tools to draw insights on what content works, and what doesn’t, to continually shape future strategy.
- Report and interpret site analytics and social listening tools to inform future content-making decisions to cultivate leads and sales.
- Compile reports for management showing results (ROI) and report on effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximize results.
- Curate, research, discover, and build relationships with up-and-coming UGC and micro-influencer talent (content creators, hair stylists, trichologists, etc.) for paid, organic and earned programming.
- Work closely with the creative team to manage on-going IG grid planning.
- Research new ideas and channels, crafting an evolving strategy for new platforms and digital social trends and foster relationships with key social media channels contacts.
- Reinforce a culture of test and learn; advise or identify new test ideas with the goal of driving increased audience growth, revenue and engagement and an improved customer experience.
- Work cross-functionally to use quantitative data to inform themes, topics, promotions, and messaging content.
- Identify trends, threats and opportunities in content marketing surrounding our industry.
- Lead Social Media customer engagement on necessary social customer escalations and report on social sentiment trends.
- Bachelor’s degree in PR, journalism, media or related.
- 6+ years of related content marketing, social media, beauty editorial, advertising experience, influencer management; beauty, design, art, or wellness industry.
- Customer service experience preferred, well-versed in all social media platform management
- Ability and motivation to grow a brand: experience owning in-the-weeds content creation while building and supervising a team in a founder-led or startup environment.
- Experience managing external influencer and marketing agencies.
- Experience negotiating influencer contracts and deliverables.
- Relationships with key brand contacts at YT, IG, TikTok, Pinterest, Snapchat, Spotify, LinkedIn etc.
- Experience reporting on organic and paid social content.
- In-depth knowledge of content marketing and dominant and emerging social media platforms and their respective communities.
- Passion for skincare / wellness beauty industry; understanding of clean beauty, biotech, and conservation efforts.
- Ability to use deep understanding of SEO and data analytics to optimize brand narrative and rapid growth for a science backed clean brand.
- Embraces start-up dynamics and thrives wearing many hats while meeting objectives and working collaboratively.
- Ability to identify the big ideas from the small ones and drive for results on the big ideas.
- Must demonstrate strong strategic, creative, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Team player who builds strong, effective partnerships.
- Team builder who develops and coaches team members to reach their own professional goals.
- Excellent written and verbal skills; strong visual design sense, excellent typography & layout skills, keen eye for detail and brand identity systems.
- Self-disciplined and motivated in a fast-paced environment that requires creativity and strong attention to detail.
- Embrace JVN’s ethos and brand pillars.