Senior Director, Brand Strategy & Marketing
Come lead the future of Clean Beauty!
We have launched a new clean haircare brand with Jonathan Van Ness, American hairdresser, television personality, podcast host, actor and author. The brand de-genders and revolutionizes the haircare industry with the best performing sustainable products.
The global haircare market represents approximately 25% of the $300 billion beauty market and has experienced growth acceleration during 2020 with more than 50% of consumers choosing clean and sustainable haircare products. Enabled by its proprietary Lab-to-Market synthetic biology platform, Amyris has developed and produces some of the leading clean ingredients to lead the transformation of the haircare industry to a clean and sustainable future.
The JVN haircare brand launched Sept 2021 and offers unparalleled ingredient efficacy, clean formulas and packaging, with genuine inclusivity. The brand focuses on addressing hair health needs, will feature a proprietary Amyris ingredient, hemisqualane, a powerfully hydrating silicone-replacement that is effective across all hair textures.
This Senior Director of Brand Strategy & Marketing is responsible for all aspects of brand development to support and grow JVN both in the US market and globally. The major focus of the role is leading brand strategy and innovation, including competitive / white space analysis, product development, creative brainstorming and campaign development and strategy. They will act as a brand champion with both internal cross-functional teams and external agencies. With a strong track record of results, exhibiting strong leadership and influencing capabilities, this role has strategic knowledge of the business, identifies growth opportunities for the brand globally, and the ways and means to achieve them. The role will report into the VP/GM.
- Define, with the VP.GM, the overall strategic plan for the JVN brand.
- Oversee Global Brand and Marketing, including brand strategy, annual and seasonal planning, consumer insights, sponsorships, retail marketing, PR/communications, influencers, strategic partnerships, brand content, and social media.
- Oversee brand and product marketing campaigns, including messaging strategy, creative development and 360 activations.
- Deliver go-to-market innovation including development of a comprehensive plan with new product concepts and forecasting that justifies the project and investment.
- Collaborate with Director of Ecommerce to identify strategies and tactics to improve customer acquisition, retention, and loyalty.
- Collaborate with Senior Director of Global Sales to develop retail rollout strategy and brainstorm how to expand into the salon business.
- Build and maintain an understanding of industry trends to make informed recommendations on brand and product marketing.
- Strategically analyze the brand's strengths and opportunities vs. category trends/key competitors and identifies growth areas for our core franchises.
- Responsible for competitive analysis, industry trends, research, budget tracking and maintaining necessary marketing reports.
- Develop and publish a 24-month rolling product development calendar and manage the execution of plans for new product introductions.
- Initiate all steps involved with new product launches including conceptualizing ideas, picking prototypes, evaluating submissions, giving direction to Product Development, Packaging and Creative, and monitoring creative briefs and design.
- Own global pricing strategy based upon competitive analysis, COGS and margin analysis to ensure profit in addition to revenue.
- Partner with the Creative Director on campaign strategies and content execution.
- Manage P&L/budgets for Marketing, Creative and Product Development consistent with business strategy and goals
- Team Development – grow and develop the team across various functions and roles.
- BA or BS in business, marketing, or related field. MBA or other advanced degree highly desired.
- 12+ years of Brand and Marketing experience or equivalent in beauty, haircare preferred.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to manage team and drive alignment across diverse functions and geographies.
- In depth knowledge of key and emerging digital and social media platforms with working knowledge of global platforms and standards.
- Proven ability to convert data, listening reports and learnings into clear and impactful strategies.
- Has through knowledge of general marketing principles, and how digital media can lead, enhance, or amplify broader marketing efforts.
- Excellent team player; knows how to build solid relationships across marketing functions (PR, integrated marketing, creative) and with various stakeholders across the organization (finance, eComm, retail, wholesale, legal, HR).
- Team builder who develops and coaches team members to drive high performance and engagement.
- Operates with a sense of urgency, can prioritize multiple projects, and maintains a sense of calm in a storm.
- Comfortable with a fast paced, quick moving, startup environment.
- Some travel is expected.