Assistant Furniture Designer
Reporting to the Senior and Lead Designer, the successful candidate will assist with delivering multiple projects at one time, to set critical paths and budgets. The role will involve working within a team and providing creative designs, Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment (FF&E) packages, technical drawings and specifications for franchise and wholesale retail projects, in the UK and internationally.
• To create and contribute to research concepts and sample boards for new projects, ensuring the designs meet commercial and aesthetic requirements.
• Gathering requested research on current and historic furniture trends, considering such elements as fabrication, materials, and design history.
• Assist department managers in the upkeep of the furniture and fixture inventory. Helping to maintain and streamline furniture design templates.
• Assist department managers in sourcing and cataloguing furniture and art for shop decoration, including liaising with restorers and upholsterers to ensure quality control.
• Assist project designers with art wall layouts and selected interior store elements
• Working locally and globally, work towards improved manufacturing schedules, costs, and quality across all projects.
• Assist with the design of minor changes to, and refurbishments of, existing shops and to progress these changes or refurbishments through to completion.
• Assist with the design of new in-store units (POS), working closely with manufacturers to ensure specifications and quality requirements are met, manage prototyping, and ensure delivery and installation is achieved within the specified timescale.
• Visit manufacturers and suppliers to review manufactured furniture and develop samples and prototypes, ensuring all products meets our quality and standards.
Essential Experience and Skills Required:
• Demonstrated experience in high end bespoke furniture design environment.
• Highly computer literate with knowledge of design packages including Microsoft Office, Vectorworks and Solidworks.
• The ability to effectively work on multiple design projects at once while producing excellent, accurate & detailed drawings and specifications to set deadlines.
• A good understanding of budgets, cost and a handle of value engineering.
• Able to work effectively with manufacturers and suppliers.
• Experience with design administration and building/ maintaining an FF&E library.
• Ability to think conceptually and feel comfortable joining projects after concept stages.
• Demonstrated appreciation of colour, materials, proportion and design principles.
• Excellent eye for design including colour and good 3D awareness.
• Ability to follow a brief and communicate technical and design issues verbally and through drawing.
• Able to produce excellent hand drawings.
• Highly self-motivated with the ability to work to own initiative and meet key deadlines.
• A team member who has the ability to deal with people at all levels
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
• Highly organised with exceptional prioritisation and planning skills.
• Able to travel in U.K. and internationally.