The School of Art & Design seeks a full-time faculty member in Fashion Design. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned fashion industry designer with design leadership and experience, primarily in the segments of the industry that are using hands-on classic heritage skills in draping, pattern making, and sewing techniques. The ability to fluidly drape, pattern and sew intricately designed garments within the shirt, skirt, dress, trouser, jacket, and coat classifications must be demonstrable within the candidate's professional background. A particularly well-versed technician possessing artistry within the aforementioned areas will be particularly well suited for the position.
The candidate must be able to readily combine professionally experienced, hands-on traditional techniques while executing original design sketches. The ability to successfully teach innovative core AAS foundational courses is vital.
A minimum of six years of industry experience as a senior fashion designer or technician is required, although the ideal candidate will likely possess a professional background exceeding the minimum.
Thorough knowledge of current successful fashion practices across several methodologies, an understanding of market trends, and an appreciation of emerging technology is also a requirement. The successful candidate will have extensive foundational knowledge of garment construction and will be able to facilitate students with the draping, patterning, and sewing of their final collections. The candidate will develop and implement new curriculum in collaboration with their departmental colleagues.
It is expected that the selected candidate will establish and/or build upon their personal areas of strength at the time of attaining tenure. Such areas might include, but are not limited to; relevant research, fashion show presentations or exhibitions, development of curriculum, grants, proposals, cultivation of industry support, or scholarly/creative work in another area.
The successful candidate will contribute to the department, School, and College, beyond the classroom in curriculum development and with committee service.Requirements:
Specific Competencies :
Successful candidates will excel in the following areas: Globalism
- Possess an ability to think globally and demonstrate an awareness of the impact of design education, industry and the profession.
- Communicate and convey to students the ethical implications of design decisions affecting the global environment and people.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the implications of design in the context of broader social, cultural, economic, scientific, and technological forces.
- Possess experience working with people from various cultural, racial, ethnic, religious, and social groups that will support the education of a diverse student population.
- Demonstrate appreciation for cultural diversity and a positive approach to cultural differences.
- Engage in global cross-disciplinary discourse in the discipline of fashion design.
- Demonstrate ability to utilize technology and electronic information to deliver course materials to students.
- Utilize instructional variety in order to accommodate students of different learning styles, abilities, demographics, or diversity.
- Demonstrate ability to cultivate and foster critical thinking, problem-solving, information literacy, and creativity.
- Demonstrate implementation of instructional methodologies and practical applications that enrich students' learning experience through innovative pedagogies, research, and/or creative scholarship.
- Demonstrate execution of socially responsible and sustainable design projects that instruct and inspire a diverse student population.
- Demonstrate experience in developing or teaching a curriculum that addresses diversity in design.
- Embrace the role of faculty as facilitators, mentors, and integrators of information and knowledge.
- Possess a passion for learning with the ability to inspire interest, curiosity, and creativity in students.
- Demonstrate responsiveness to industry changes and/or practices, including technology, and the ability to incorporate evolving changes in a progressive curriculum.
- Demonstrate a continued engagement in creative and/or scholarly work in the discipline of fashion design.
- Understand established and emerging fashion design practices and convey their importance to students.
- Possess the ability to organize and lead initiatives, for the department and the College.
- Demonstrate professional projects that illustrate a varied and innovative design portfolio of evidence-based projects.
- Demonstrate research ability, knowledge of, and engagement with industry competitions, exhibitions, publications, and/or awards.
- Demonstrate technological skills relating to 3D software and emerging technologies specifically used in the fashion design profession.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate through technology and utilization of the College course management system and campus portal.
- Demonstrate a commitment to maintaining currency in technological skills and knowledge.
- Bachelor's degree required with six (6) years of professional experience as a senior fashion designer or technician. Candidates must present a strong fashion portfolio showcasing professional work inclusive of relevant press and/or industry recognition. Digital skills and specific related apparel software skills utilized by fashion design professionals are required.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Three (3) years or more of teaching experience in higher education preferred.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, frequently analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be any combination of the classroom, lab, and/or office space. Certain roles may be required to handle machinery and chemicals. The physical requirement for this position will require occasional sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, frequent walking, and occasionally lifting 10 lbs. or less. Additional Information:
This faculty position will begin Fall 2023
. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please note a background check is required for appointment to this position.
Link to FIT Benefits for Full-Time Faculty
Collective Bargaining Salary Schedules (page 72) ; Successor Agreement (page 6)
Hiring Salary: $69,475 per year; per CBA, the salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience. Application Instructions:
For consideration, please provide:
- Letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position
- Professional resume/CV with a minimum of three professional references; include their names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contact information
- Digital portfolio in PDF format (less than 20 MB) with examples of 3D work, videos, garment sketches/photo samples of current professional fashion design work or a URL to a professional portfolio website.
- A PDF (less than 20 MB) of press kit or look book.
Candidates whose applications are accepted will be contacted by the search committee and will be requested to then submit the following:
- A PDF professional portfolio with five (5) additional samples of recent fashion design work (fashion sketches, 3D garment visuals, and/or videos, and/or technical design packages).
- The search committee may assign select candidates a skills assessment project/test.
- A demonstration/teaching lesson is part of the interview/application process for finalists.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at: www.fitnyc.edu .
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application material.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The College reserves the right to select one or more candidates after having been duly reviewed and presented to the President in conformance with the provisions of Article 15 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Fashion Design Department, School of Art and Design.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for more than 75 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The College continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instructional design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The mission of FIT's School of Art and Design is to educate the next generation of creative, socially responsible, and globally relevant professionals able to succeed in the broad spectrum of art and design fields. The school challenges students to create new and valuable ideas through innovation, collaboration, and experimentation.
The Fashion Design program provides the expertise and skill sets needed by students and alumni to qualify for professional, creative positions in the fashion industry and related fields. A rigorous, exciting AAS and BFA curriculum delivers assignments and proficiencies that promote conceptual design development and hands-on technical skills,
coupled with digital acumen. Faculty members are well-connected industry design professionals who draw upon contacts and collaborations within the industry to provide students with the necessary associations and experiences for a successful FIT career and launch into the industry post-graduation.