Designer Initiatives and Membership Manager
- Full Time
The British Fashion Council (BFC) is a not-for-profit organisation that aims to further the interests of the British fashion industry and its designer businesses by harnessing and sharing collective knowledge, experience, and resources of the sector. Formed in 1983, the BFC is funded by industry patrons, commercial sponsors, and the government including the Mayor of London and the ERDF. It leads the industry through creative influence and is strategically repositioning British fashion in the global fashion economy.
The BFC encourages a culture which empowers, values, nurtures, supports, and rewards its employees and promotes a positive environment with a focus on team collaboration and open communication.
The BFC is committed to being an Equal Opportunities Employer. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. They’re more than just words. We are inclusive. We celebrate and champion multiple approaches and points of view. We believe diversity drives innovation. So together we’re building a culture where difference is valued. Our commitment to inclusion drives us forward every day internally and externally. Everyone is welcome, as an inclusive workplace the BFC encourages our employees to bring their true self to work and we commit to develop your skills and advance your careers in a culture of creativity.
- We are forces of change: We challenge ourselves and inspire others to be responsible and take action for positive change. We are united: We champion diversity and inclusion and work together to deliver our mission to strengthen British Fashion. We strive for excellence: The designers are at the heart of everything that we do. We are purpose led and make the right choices to deliver excellence. We are innovative: We are committed to creativity and innovation to deliver growth.
About the role:
- This is a rewarding role that is central to the support that the BFC gives to both students and designers to help their growth and development. The focus of this role is the curation and delivery of Education programmes and student competitions and events that the BFC runs, working closely with other BFC teams, fashion educators and industry partners to deliver. The role holder is also responsible for managing the charitable operations and onboarding of designers to the BFC’s BFC/GQ Designer Fashion Fund and the BFC/Vogue Designer Fashion Fund. The role holder will work closely with the team Head to develop and deliver the BFC’s designer and education initiatives.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with the Head of Membership and Designer Initiatives to develop education and careers agenda with the aim of attracting the best talent to the fashion industry. Consults with BFC Education Pillar Presidents, the fashion industry, educators and government and work closely across BFC teams to promote and develop education initiatives including Press, Marketing, Designer Relations, and Business Support teams. Manage the delivery of the BFC and Saturday Club Trust’s Fashion & Business Saturday Clubs including coordinating with host universities, liaising with industry to develop the masterclass programme. Project management of the education initiatives, including critical paths, budgets, and the education communications plan. Actively seek and develop ideas for furthering the work of the Education Pillar, including finding industry sponsorship and contributions.
BFC Colleges Council
- Curate and manage the delivery of the Colleges Council programme including events, seminars, industry competitions and Graduate Preview Day. Liaising with high profile speakers and industry contributors. Working in partnership with fashion brands to create industry-based competitions. Manage the BFC Colleges Council, including budget, membership, arranging and supporting the Colleges Council Steering Committee, updating members’ website, promoting events and competitions.
BFC Education Foundation
- Deliver the MA & BA scholarships programme including calls for applicants, liaising with universities, accepting applications, arranging shortlisting and judging panels. Develop and maintain working relationships with scholars as part of on-going mentoring. Designer Initiatives delivery:
- Support initiative critical path management, application processes and delivery (BFC/GQ Designer Fashion Fund and the BFC/Vogue Designer Fashion Fund), including: Manage required deliverables across BFC teams to ensure successful delivery of initiatives, including communications (social media, press releases), designer relations, event operations (judging days and initiative events) and partnerships teams (sponsors and patrons management). Overseeing on-boarding process to initiatives, from application through to signing of grant agreements with recipients, managing payments and maintaining records of all grant/scholarship recipients.
Requirements & Key Attributes – Skills & Requirements
- Manages critical paths and monitors budgets, deliverables, critical paths, risks, managing information flow and communication as appropriate. Ability to manage very tight deadlines. Takes responsibility for actions, outcomes, and follow-through. Exceptional organisational skills. Practical and pro-active with an eye for detail and creativity. Forging and maintaining strong relationships, including across Education Pillar Presidents, educators, and the fashion industry, to develop a partnership approach. Immediately addresses and resolves issues/challenges. Resolves complaints and can trouble-shoot with designers, external bodies, consultants, funders, sponsors etc with empathy and in a conciliatory manner. Pro-actively supports Head of Department and internal teams to positively manage requests. Represents the BFC and acts as an ambassador at events, corporate initiatives.
Professional Experience & Skills:
- Extensive experience in fashion, events or careers/education or a charity. Industry experience within events, fashion, or education. Excellent written and spoken level of English, essential. Strong analytical, IT, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel skills, essential.
Salary & Benefits
- Job type: Full time, permanent.
- Salary: Subject to experience.
- 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays + Christmas Eve.
- Summer Working Hours (July & August).
- Standard company working hours are 09.30 to 17.30, flexibility and non-standard hours are required during events.
How to apply:
- Candidates should apply with a CV and covering letter, highlighting your experience for this role and salary expectations to email@example.com with ‘Designer Initiatives and Membership Manager’ in the subject.
- Application closing date: 19th August 2022.
- Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
- Successful candidates will be notified by email and invited to a first-stage interview.
- Upon application, please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments for the interview.
- Due to the high volume of applicants, we are unable to provide specific feedback should your application be unsuccessful.