Assistant to Managing Director
About Blackhorse Lane Ateliers
Founded in 2016, Blackhorse Lane Ateliers is London’s only craft jeans-maker. We make and sell our own ready-to-wear line of selvedge & organic denim jeans from our Atelier in Walthamstow and our retail shop in Coal Drops Yard. We offer multiple fits from modern slim to vintage straight, with a focus on sustainability, community and unmatched quality.
We’ve collaborated with like-minded brands including Drake’s, Christopher Raeburn, Belstaff, Toast and many others. We also offer sampling & production services for clothing made with denim and similar heavy fabrics. Based within a tastefully renovated 1920s factory building, the brand combines the production of jeans with the establishment of a modern methodology for a community of makers – Think Global, Act Local. We are also opening a state-of-the-art Sustainable/Circular denim Lab using the latest technology to offer bespoke washes and dyeing to our clients and R&D opportunities to our partners in education.
Our company’s three pillars are:
Quality: We use a mix of tailoring innovation and heritage construction to create garments of unmatched quality. We truly believe that our jeans are the best in the world — and also the only jeans made in London for at least 50 years.
Community: We believe in growing the maker community in Walthamstow, London. We employ local machinists, pay a London Living Wage and our atelier shares the site with Barbican Arts Trust and a pop-up restaurant space, currently occupied by SlowBurn.
Environmental Responsibility: We try to minimise the environmental impact of making denim garments by using organic cotton, denim woven in Europe, and offer a lifetime repair policy that discourages fast fashion.
Working closely with the Managing Director in supporting all administrative tasks across the business - Office, Operations, Wholesale and Production. As Assistant to the MD you will provide a comprehensive level of administrative and organisational support, enabling smooth and efficient running of the company, upholding and communicating the company values and ethos at all times.
In this multidisciplinary role, you will liaise with internal team members as well as support new and ongoing projects with our external partners in trade, education, and the community. The right candidate will be passionate about craft, circularity and social sustainability, an excellent communicator with a high level of literacy and written and spoken English and be able to work under pressure and multitask while adhering to deadlines. They should be highly organised, proactive and efficient with a meticulous eye for detail.
The successful candidate will be guided and supported in the role by the MD.
- Upholding BLA values and ethos in all communications;
- Receive all incoming phone calls, emails, inquiries and requests and respond accordingly in a timely manner. Deal with post and prepare correspondence, both internal and external, on behalf of the Company and MD in a timely manner
- Maintain office systems, including up-to-date partner/contact lists for the business, online data management and physical filing;
- Timely maintenance of Critical Path spreadsheet/project trackers to ensure objectives, deadlines and budgets are adhered to;
- Maintaining production and wholesale pricelist to ensure correct costing and billing;
- Responsible for maintaining stock inventory for production and retail, ensuring stock is updated and complete before production and replenished afterwards;
- Organize the agenda and schedule appointments, plan and organize meetings on behalf of the MD, maintain and update MD and team events calendar and send reminders;
- Liaise with all external and internal departments/functions. Manage relationships with customers, collaborators, suppliers, and institutions where requested;
- Providing background information on all external and internal meetings, making sure the MD is fully prepared for each meeting they attend;
- Produce and edit documents, minutes, reports and presentations;
- Processing the Company expenses, raising purchase orders and processing invoices in line with company procedures via liaison with the external bookkeeper/accounting department Processing and tracking all invoices raised;
- General office administration including ordering office supplies and replacements. Prepare facilities for scheduled events and arranging refreshments, if required;
- Support with special projects and events where required;
- Supporting MD with day-to-day problem solving;
- Responsible for tracking important industry dates;
Required Experience and Skills
- Knowledge of and passionate about craft, circularity and social sustainability within the community that we live in;
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills including excellent written and spoken English and attention to detail;
- Ability to interface regularly with internal and external personnel at all levels within the organization;
- Flexibility, organizational skills and ability to work in a team;
- Proactivity and problem-solving attitude;
- Efficiency in performing multiple tasks in respect of deadlines, well-developed time management skills, focused on priority management;
- Professionalism and a high degree of confidentiality and integrity;
- Minimum 3-4 years administrative experience/working in fashion or creative industry;
- Computer literate, good knowledge of Microsoft packages (Word, Excel & PowerPoint) Xero/SAGE, and Internet;