Since its launch in 1993 with a collection of six essential handbags, Kate Spade New York has always been colorful, bold, and optimistic. Today, it is a global lifestyle brand that designs extraordinary things for the everyday, delivering seasonal collections of handbags, ready-to-wear, jewelry, footwear, home décor, and more. Known for its rich heritage and unique brand DNA, Kate Spade New York offers a distinctive point of view and celebrates communities of women around the globe who live their perfectly imperfect lifestyles.
Kate Spade New York is part of the Tapestry portfolio - a global house of brands committed to stretching what's possible.
A member of the Tapestry family, we are part of a global house of brands that has unwavering optimism and is committed to being innovative and wholly inclusive. Visit Our People
page to learn more about Tapestry's commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity. Primary Purpose:
The Director of Editorial Copy atKate Spade New York serves as the brand voice expert and plays a critical role in driving traffic and sales to our website, as well as retail and outlet stores. From emails to Instagram, packaging to special projects, the Director of Editorial Copy is responsible for leading the team that carries out our brand message and values through inspiring and creative storytelling across all categories and channels. Job Title: Director of Editorial Copy The successful individual will leverage their proficiency in Editorial & Copy to...
The accomplished individual will possess...
- Serve as the brand voice expert for Kate Spade and partner closely with the Creative Director to develop copy that expresses the brand voice and vision.
- Develop and maintain the voice for marketing and editorial across all channels including site, direct marketing, social media, emails and product/packaging.
- Lead copywriting team to execute the brand message, including creating inspiring and unique storytelling moments for the Kate Spade brand.
- Work in close partnership with Marketing, Merchandising, Brand Creative, Commercial and Ecommerce teams to develop engaging copy and storytelling to support key brand initiatives and strategy.
- Interpret brand voice across all channels including all global sites and corporate communications.
- Create a consistent editorial voice for the Kate Spade brand and develop best practices for branded content.
An outstanding professional will have...
- Proactive attitude, creative thinking abilities with ability/confidence to challenge status quo
- Excellent writing skills with a strong portfolio dedicated to inspiring creative approaches
- Strategic problem-solving skills, ability to address business objectives intelligently and creatively
- Excellent communication, organization and problem-solving skills
- Strong conceptual skills with intuitive knowledge of how copy relates to design, graphics and concept inspiration
- Ability to function with deadlines, while working independently and as part of a team in fast-paced creative environment
- Strong competitive knowledge of best-in-class fashion/editorial voice
- Ability to balance editorial and business needs
Our Competencies for All Employees
- Minimum 10 years of editorial and copywriting; luxury brand/fashion experience
- Ability to lead and perform a range of copy related initiatives including ability to formalize strategy, drive copy team's day-to-day work, and able to write concepts
- Proven leadership experience including managing and mentoring a team
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Proven ability to influence and interact successfully with diverse individuals at all levels
- Excellent communication skills with ability to develop and foster superior partner relations
- Proficiency in a desktop publishing program, preferably Macintosh
Our Competencies for All People Managers
- Courage : Doesn't hold back anything that needs to be said; provides current, direct, complete, and "actionable" positive and corrective feedback to others; lets people know where they stand; faces up to people problems on any person or situation (not including direct reports) quickly and directly; is not afraid to take negative action when necessary.
- Creativity : Comes up with a lot of new and unique ideas; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions; tends to be seen as original and value-added in brainstorming settings.
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Dealing with Ambiguity : Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn't upset when things are up in the air; doesn't have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- Drive for Results: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Interpersonal Savvy : Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Learning on the Fly: Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
- Strategic Agility : Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Developing Direct Reports and Others:Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person's career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization; is a people builder.
- Building Effective Teams : Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in theirteam; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
Kate Spade is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and we pride ourselves on hiring and developing the best people. All employment decisions (including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, transfer, training, discipline and termination) are based on the applicant's or employee's qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under the consideration. These decisions are made without regard to age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or any other legally-recognized protected basis prohibited by applicable law. Visit Kate Spade at www.katespade.com .