Senior Garment Technologist/ Quality Control
We are the women of Sahara. We are unconstrained. Our adventurous spirit leads us beyond the High Street to destinations lesser known. For clothes that mean more. That add to the story of our lives. We are unique. Try and pin us down, it doesn’t work. Label us and it won’t stick. We believe that demographics divide, age is just a state of mind and body type is what each one of us sees in the mirror.
We are leaders. Visionaries in our own right. Creative, passionate - and only ever underestimated once.
Sahara - the fashion company with a difference, is seeking a Senior Garment Technologist and Quality Controller to join their expanding production team at their London HQ. The successful candidate will be responsible for the fit, finish and quality of all products fabricated under the label, ensuring that the exceptionally high standards for which the brand is known are upheld. This pivotal role connects the Design & Production teams, so excellent communication and exacting attention to detail is key, coupled with an understanding of relaxed, soft, casual dressing. Visiting our UK factories on a regular basis, and occasionally overseas, you will use your knowledge and experience to monitor and improve quality.
Working collaboratively between the Head of Production, Pattern Cutter and in house designers, your list of responsibilities, whilst not exhaustive includes:
- Being responsible for the quality, fit, finish & legal compliance of Sahara products, presenting and implementing improvements where required
- Responsible for the fit of garments in all Sahara’s product ranges from the 1st proto through to gold seal and production control
- 50% percent of Sahara’s product is made in the UK, regular visits to our London based factories are required, to assist, monitor and resolve any production issues
- Aligning the fit across the Sahara range; using fit models to ensure consistently fitting garments across all styles
- Working alongside our Pattern Cutter making sure fit reviews are carried out across the full Sahara range and benchmarking against our competitors
- Running fit meetings and relaying clear & concise fit comments to all fabricators
- Measuring samples, creating, amending and updating fully graded specs and providing technical drawings/diagrams where necessary
- Have a thorough understanding of grading, with the ability to check and approve graded patterns before sending to fabricators in conjunction with the Patter Cutter
- Checking gold seal samples are fit for production and ensure our fabricators have all necessary information to deliver an exceptional, aspirational product that will last for years to come
- Working across departments to ensure that all stakeholders are updated on any QA issues or alterations in product finish and/or design
- You will be the main contact for all returns and/or rejected garments from the retail, wholesale or warehouse divisions. The garment tech ensures follow up action is taken and all stakeholders are informed
- Spot-checking production by making store and warehouse visits to ensure an exceptional finish and standard is upheld
- Organising Production visits to our Flagship store once a month to critically review product with the Head of Design and Head of Production to see how it can be improved
- Build and maintain strong relationships with suppliers, identifying potential risks and opportunities in the supply chain and driving improvement initiatives
- Work closely with Design & Merchandising to establish optimum product value and maintain excellent communication throughout
AS A PERSON YOU WILL
- Be exacting and passionate about producing exceptional product
- Have proven experience in a similar brand working with comparable product
- Have experience of working closely with fabricators, visiting and checking Production
- Be a proactive problem solver with a commercial mindset
- Be both positive and logical in your approach
- Be confident asking questions and challenging the status quo in a quest for excellence Have exceptional attention to detail
- Have strong computer literacy with a competency in Adobe Illustrator & Ms Excel
- Be willing to undertake fresh challenges to help elevate product/brand
- Be optimistic in your outlook and approach challenges positively, taking team members with you
- Be commercial in your approach and always have the customer in mind
- Strive for excellence in all areas of your work
- Possess a critical eye for detail and construction on Samples so amendments can be translated into Final Production Garment
Hands on sewing machine experience advantageous for in house sampling or last-minute alterations if necessary.
- a competitive salary
- a generous holiday allowances
- flexible start and finish times in a friendly office
- discretionary annual bonus, where company performance allows
- access to exclusive perks and discounts via Perkbox
Sahara is passionate about working with great people & building inspirational, creative teams. We know how important it is to enjoy your working day, we have beautiful offices with an abundance of natural light. We promote a friendly, non-corporate environment at our HQ; we are passionate and hard-working and enjoy socialising both in and out of the office.