5 days left
- Full Time
The Business of Fashion (BoF) is seeking a China Editor to lead its authoritative coverage of the market. The ideal candidate will develop and execute an enhanced editorial strategy to bolster BoF’s position as the world’s leading hub for sector-specific reporting and intelligent discussion on China.
You will aspire to set the agenda for fashion and beauty industry business coverage across the entire value chain from raw materials production to retail, whether that is securing an exclusive on global brands’ China marketing strategies, breaking news about local e-commerce platforms or reporting on the ESG performance of Chinese manufacturers. Your analysis of the industry will be informed by China’s broader economic, political and cultural context and by local developments in adjacent industries.
Who Are We?
The Business of Fashion (BoF) is a next generation fashion media company conceived for today's global and hyper-connected world. Founded in 2007 by Imran Amed, BoF is known for its authoritative, agenda-setting point of view on the global fashion industry, described as “The Economist of Fashion,” “A Daily Destination for Fashion’s Power Players” and “The Industry Bible.”
Providing tools and services to support the journey through the fashion and beauty industries, including News & Analysis, Careers, and Education, BoF has grown to be an indispensable resource for fashion executives, creatives, students and entrepreneurs in over 200 countries.
Commitment to Diversity
BoF is committed to building a diverse workforce and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunities employer. All applicants and employees receive equal treatment regardless of race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity.
Commitment to Inclusivity
BoF is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work and reach their full potential within their roles using a growth mindset. We are committed to creating an inclusive culture for our employees globally.
What We Need You To Do
You will contribute to a range of deeply reported features and agenda-setting news analysis for a target audience of intelligent, globally minded fashion and beauty industry decision-makers while meeting tight deadlines and weekly targets. Much of the core content will be written by you, supplemented by content you commission, edit and deliver that has been written by a small network of local journalists whom you secure as trusted freelance contributors.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Write weekly reported features and news analyses, focussing on the China market.
- Commission, edit and deliver additional weekly content from your network of freelance journalists
- Secure a high-profile columnist on the China market to contribute monthly.
- Redesign and take ownership of BoF’s China-specific newsletter, with a goal of growing our subscriber base.
- Use your extensive source network and industry expertise across China to deliver breaking news and secure exclusives.
- Lead coverage of daily news from across China and those companies active in China.
- Contribute to BoF’s series of insight reports, case studies and high-profile cover stories.
- Collaborate with other BoF editors and reporters in overlapping beats such as luxury, retail, sustainability and tech to integrate China coverage into our global coverage.
- Cultivate relationships with executives, industry leaders and grassroots stakeholders to deliver scoops and exclusive insights.
- Source images and create charts for your stories.
- Occasionally contribute to BoF’s wider Asia coverage.
Who you are
A journalist with fluency writing about business in English, who speaks Mandarin and has expertise in the China market. Preferably, you reside in a fashion business hub in China or the wider Asia region. You will be full of ideas, confident in developing stories and able to swiftly execute tightly written and edited news, analysis and deeply reported features. You will also be able to thrive in a fast-paced scale-up environment, combined with the following skills that set you up for success:
- Acute news judgement and ability to distil, corroborate, scrutinise and elevate information contained in press releases with additional analysis.
- A keen eye for stories that will have an impact on the industry, help our subscribers and engage new readers.
- Ability to cultivate a network of high-level industry sources.
- Ability to lead a small network of local freelance journalist contributors.
- A keen interest in the fashion and/or beauty industries
- Strong writing, reporting and editing skills and an ability to tell complex stories with flair.
- Agility to manage multiple stories at the same time with a strong sense of accountability and attention to detail.
- Willingness to occasionally work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of a global news cycle.
You’ll Know You’re Successful When…
- You are delivering a consistent and steady stream of content that informs and engages our global community.
- You are on top of the most important fashion and beauty industry news and consistently ahead of the competition.