Social Media Journalist
The Business of Fashion (BoF) is seeking a Social Media Journalist to drive the expansion of a fast-growing, scale-up media company. Ever more people are encountering BoF for the first time on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or YouTube, where our accounts have a total of over 6 million followers. However, we are looking beyond follower numbers; we want to create an even more vibrant, engaged BoF community across multiple platforms.
To help us achieve this vision, we are looking for a part-social media expert, part-journalist, who enjoys — and has a proven track record in — telling thought-provoking, timely stories online, while also understanding the power of social in community building for a global publishing business. They will be a social-first thinker with deep knowledge of the fashion industry along with deep knowledge of adjacent industries, such as beauty. They will have a wealth of ideas for how we can tailor our website’s content for our social media audience whilst delivering fresh social-first stories.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a talented, enthusiastic content team working closely together to achieve our overall goal of becoming the global leader for professional content and services dedicated to fashion and beauty.
Who Are We?
BoF is a next generation fashion media company conceived for today's global and hyper-connected world. Founded in 2007 by Imran Amed, BoF is known for its authoritative, agenda-setting point of view on the global fashion industry, described as “The Economist of Fashion,” “A Daily Destination for Fashion’s Power Players” and “The Industry Bible.”
Providing tools and services to support the journey through the fashion and beauty industries, including News & Analysis, Careers, and Education, BoF has grown to be an indispensable resource for fashion executives, creatives, students and entrepreneurs in over 200 countries.
Commitment to Diversity
BoF is committed to building a diverse workforce and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunities employer. All applicants and employees receive equal treatment regardless of race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity.
Commitment to Inclusivity
BoF is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work and reach their full potential within their roles using a growth mindset. We are committed to creating an inclusive culture for our employees globally.
As a crucial member of the social media team, you will implement and lead on developing a social media strategy, working closely with the social media producer and across functional areas of the business to bring this strategy to life. You are able to demonstrate that you can spark, curate, reward professional/prosumer-grade conversation on the global fashion industry with the goal of deepening engagement with and among discerning, high-value users.
This position will require you to not only find creative ways to repurpose the website’s content on social media, but also find and tell differentiating social-first stories. The social media journalist will also use your industry and business knowledge to pitch, report and write original content that resonates with social audiences.
Working with the social media producer you will…
Maximise the traction of the stories we tell using social media, combining excellent social media and journalistic skills. You will enhance and create stories across a wide variety of social media platforms and ensure that these are distributed properly on social channels.
What We Need You To Do:
- Alongside the social media producer, run and maintain the social media channels to a high standard
- Play a key role in the ongoing development and execution of BoF’s social media strategy, including for live events.
- With a global mindset, identify, report and write stories for a social media environment
- Actively generate ideas and seek new stories for BoF with the opportunity to report or write them yourself
- Work closely and participate in meetings with the editors to optimise story angles, headlines, captions and assets for social or other off-platform use
- Ensure the newsroom has sufficient insight to produce iInternet-friendly stories, and take responsibility for their subsequent distribution on social media channels
- Work across functions and directly with editorial, multimedia, studio, design, commercial and marketing teams, ensuring their respective demands are met
- Monitor performance data, compiling regular reports on trends to encourage team to make better informed decisions on what works on social media
- Attend industry events, build a network of contacts within the industry and beyond
Who You Are
- You are highly curious individual, full of ideas, with a demonstrated talent in social first storytelling Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, breaking news stories You have a thorough knowledge of different social-media networks, as well as emerging digital trends and platforms You have honed an understanding of how to reach and speak to a youthful, global and diverse audience, while upholding the highest editorial standards and guidelines and adhering to BoF’s editorial strategy Write clearly, with an engaging style that reflects your knowledge of what captivates your audience. Ideally, you have experience as a journalist, with a track record of generating and executing compelling stories for a media publisher.
You’ll Know You’re Successful When…
- Your strategy has had an impact on growing BoF’s social media audience both in terms of community size and meaningful engagement You are on top of what’s happening in fashion and beauty while delivering and executing social first stories You are driving change across BoF functions using your social media skills, with positive feedback from internal and external stakeholders