JOB TITLE: Wovens Senior Designer
REPORTS TO: Head of Wovens
JOB TYPE: Full Time, Permanent
LOCATION: Kew Gardens
We are looking for a highly creative Womenswear Designer who is versatile and strong in outwear & tailoring, who can also think out of the box. You will have an elevated aesthetic and experience in the premium & luxury sector. You will be responsible for designing stunning woven garments in collaboration with the product development and technical teams; driving the creative process working closely with the Head of Wovens.
You will be a key contributor in building an innovative, sustainably sourced, commercially balanced range, consistently introducing fresh ideas to the product assortment and delivering a collection that is true to the Jigsaw design aesthetic
You will have a strong design identity, a high level of awareness of seasonal shows and knowledge of current and future trends, as well as a strong understanding of what customers want to see online and instore.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work collaboratively with design, buying and pattern teams from concept to completion aligning on seasonal direction, trends, timelines and customer insights.
- Research seasonal theme and inspiration, fabric and colour concepts in collaboration with the Design team via fabric fairs, shopping and visual research, galleries etc.
- Developing design through sketching, draping on the stand and other creative mediums.
- Produce clear illustrations and technical sketches, communicating details of which to the pattern room in order to develop accurate first prototypes and creating specs/tech packs for factories.
- Work closely with Product Development, Garment Tech teams and Atelier, managing the shape development and fittings process making sure the critical path is adhered to.
- Participate in fittings with a high level of confidence, developing styles from sketch to sealing.
- Work closely with the Product Development team to ensure they are up to date on sketch development, passing correct tech packs and instructions for fabric and trim.
- Maintaining contact with external suppliers, visiting when necessary, and ensuring they have all relevant design information to make samples.
- Work on colour palettes and put lab dips into work in correct yarns and fabrics. Work on prints and trims for the collection in collaboration with the print designer.
- Maintaining awareness of market information influencing consumers and knowing the company best seller products in order to filter into the design process.
- Work with the broader design teams to ensure that there is a clear definition between the departments and that we offer true choice to the customer.
- Work with merchandising on planning the range in line with buy plan.
- Work with other members of the team to prepare line sheets for buy meetings with relevant information such as prices, lead times, minimum order quantity, surcharges etc.
- Preparation for presenting collections to the Creative Director and Merchandising teams at buy meetings and actioning any subsequent amendments.
- Input into copy for online selling, ensuring the marketing teams have all the correct product information.
- Check the Jigsaw website and flag any product information or description discrepancies.
- Regular visits to Jigsaw stores and concessions to remain in touch with the shopping environment.
- General day to day administrative duties, archiving collection work, maintaining samples, keeping design boards and working space tidy.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduated from a Fashion Design BA course or MA course
- Significant experience in a womenswear designer role in the premium sector
- Highly creative and strong understanding of customer needs
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent technical hand drawing skills
- Expertise in working on the stand with drape and shape making
- A good technical knowledge of garment construction, fit and fabric
- Excellent sensitivity to fabrication, colour detail and proportion
- Strong grasp of sustainable fashion solutions, material innovation and product development
- Ability to work well in a fast paced and creative environment
- Good knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Microsoft Office suite
- Written and oral fluency in English
BEHAVIOURS FOR SUCCESS
- The successful candidate should be self-motivated, organised be able to work independently within a fast-paced creative team environment and have a good understanding of the brand’s aesthetic.
- Excellent communication skills with an organised and structured approach.
- High work ethic, good time management skills
- Work to deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Champion of the business and brand aesthetic
ON APPLICATION PLEASE INCLUDE: CV and Portfolio including examples of your work