Reporting to the Academic Skills Center Coordinator, the Academic Skills Center Supervisor will be responsible for overseeing the operation of the Center which involves the supervision of all staff.
- Supervise the operation of the Center and the staff (approximately 75 tutors, one secretary and student workers) of the Academic Skills Center.
- Evaluate tutors and our services throughout the school year.
- Setup the Tutoring Center systems at the start of every semester as new and returning tutors are hired, and update the system throughout the school year.
- Address all staff and student issues on an as-needed basis, assess students' academic needs and provide information related to tutoring services or direct them to other on-campus student services offices.
- Help to train new tutors and develop and present workshops for tutors and students related to tutoring and learning at the college level.
- Compose grant applications, updates on and end-of-semester/yearly reports for the Perkins Grant which covers tutoring for the Associate level students as well as composing reports for the Academic Skills Center.
- Help to track and maintain the Tutoring Center's budget including creating a budget for the FY, collecting, checking and sending tutor timesheets to the appropriate offices, and maintaining a budget tracking and Excel sheet of monies spent.
- Help to develop, present and distribute publicity materials to students, faculty and staff about the Center's services and help out at various student centered events to promote the Center.
- Help to update the Center's most current information on the FIT website.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of two to three years of teaching, tutoring and supervisory experience in a post-secondary environment.
- Experience in the development, planning and presentation of workshops for large groups of tutors and students related to topics such as peer tutoring, supplemental instruction, tutoring techniques and strategies, tutor orientations, study skills, adjusting to college level work and time management.
- Demonstrated ability in writing grant proposals and reports, data collection and analysis, budget planning and tracking.
- Previous experience in working with and supervising a tutoring center staff and all related activities. Engaging with a very diverse population and interacting with students of all different skills levels, including students with disabilities and an international population.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal, written, communication and intermediate math skills.
- Advanced, working knowledge of Excel, MS Office, Google platforms and various social media platforms.
- Must possess good reporting, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Good supervisory/leadership qualities.
- Sensitive, calm demeanor with excellent listening skills.
- Ability to handle a high traffic office and multitask.
- Empathy for others.
- Ability to take constructive criticism and adjust as needed.
- Experience in addressing and resolving potential conflicts.
- Postgraduate degree in Education or related field preferred.
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Frequent; Communicate Orally- Constant; Reason & Analyze- Frequent; Write- Constant
The position is on campus, primarily in an office or lab environment.
Sit- Constant; Stand- Occasional; Bend- Occasional; Walk- Occasional; Climb- N/A; Pull- Occasional; Push- Occasional; Lift Additional Information:
Days/Hours: Fall/Spring Semester M-T, 3pm-8pm and Sat, 10am-3pm (25 hours per week), in person; occasional Fridays, work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Salary Schedule 92
Hiring Rate: $37.98 per hour
Employee Holiday and Work Schedule
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made. Application Instructions:
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply online and attach the following documents; http://fitnyc.interviewexchange.com:
- Cover letter
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, email@example.com.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites applications for a Part-Time Academic Skills Center Supervisor in the Academic Skills Center.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.