At Burberry, we believe creativity opens spaces. Our purpose is to unlock the power of imagination to push boundaries and open new possibilities for our people, our customers and our communities. This is the core belief that has guided Burberry since it was founded in 1856 and is central to how we operate as a company today.
We aim to provide an environment for creative minds from different backgrounds to thrive, bringing a wide range of skills and experiences to everything we do. As a purposeful, values-driven brand, we are committed to being a force for good in the world as well, creating the next generation of sustainable luxury for customers, driving industry change and championing our communities. JOB PURPOSE
At Burberry we pride ourselves on the level of quality across our digital touch points; across web, app, in-store experience and pop-ups, we aim to deliver a best-in-class experience to our customers.
The Lead Creative Technologist's purpose is to help drive the conversation around "what's next" in digital experiences and customer engagement. The right candidate will be able to marry-up the latest and greatest technology with outstanding storytelling.
You'll work across a wide range of business functions, from Digital Marketing and Social teams through to 3D Design and Architecture, helping to craft beautiful and robust solutions to the briefs supplied.
We're looking for passionate, creative engineers who are excited about solving problems and exploring opportunities through both established and bleeding edge technologies. Our goal is to generate a real buzz amongst our customers, the industry and our peers for the work we do.
Although you will be grounded in traditional front-end web technologies, such as Vue or React, you live and breathe creativity and immersive experiences and have been actively playing with developments in AI, Web3, Realtime 3D and /or XR technologies.
Whilst we are a large organization we do our best to be agile, and enable our engineers to get things done. So, you'll get the latest tech, the right tools and the best support to make an impact. We champion individuals willing to put themselves out there and go the extra mile. RESPONSIBILITIES
PERSONAL PROFILETechnical Requirements
- Reporting into the Senior Manager of Creative Technology and the Creative Lead
- Research and document developments in relevant technologies and themes
- Lead R&D initiatives around emerging technologies and potential partnerships
- Help to cultivate an innovative and supportive culture within the team and the wider digital department
- Deliver presentations to peers and senior leadership team members on project progress and new opportunities in an accessible manager for all levels of technical knowledge
- Plan technical solutions to briefs provided
- Work with the Project Manager to provide accurate time estimates for effort required to delivery
- Identify and clearly communicate risks to delivery and appropriate mitigation
- Provide expert-level technical know-how, both in terms of hands-on development and peer code-reviews
- Assist in facilitating workshops to breakdown briefs and challenges and resolve in a collaborative manner where appropriate
- Mentor more junior member / members of the technical team
- Perform line-management duties such as end of year reviews, 1-to-1s and career development support
- Propose and implement process change to improve productivity and reduce risk
- Be a positive, active and collaborative member of the team generally, bringing confidence from your wealth of experience in previous projects and roles, whilst being humble and always open to learning from others
- Expert level in core front end technology such as CSS and HTML including LESS or SASS
- Expert level in one or more backend technologies, ideally Node JS
- Expert level knowledge of package managers and bundlers such as NPM, Yarn, Webpack, Vite
- Experience delivering projects using immersive technologies such as AR or VR
- Strong real-time 3D skills in an appropriate platform (e.g., ThreeJS, WebGL, Unity, Unreal)
- Appreciation of performance considerations in development
- Some experience of Web3 principles, blockchain technology and NFTs
- Experience with at least one non-web-based programming language or development platform for creative purposes, e.g., Unity, Unreal, Touch Designer, C#, C, Python, Arduino etc
- Strong previous experience with automated testing tools and linters
- Experience setting up and developing against cloud architecture such as AWS
- Strong understanding of the technical possibilities within social media networks, such as Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Facebook and Snapchat, and their interactive features
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent documentation skills
- Previous experience line-managing junior team members
- A curious mindset, always searching for what's next and how it could be used in a meaningful way to meet our business objectives
- The ability to problem-solve with the confidence to flag concerns and challenge assumptions on a regular basis
- Working collaboratively, able to communicate technical solutions effectively to less technical staff members and a commitment to be part of a successful team
- An eye for detail with a passion for visual perfection
- Increase in productivity and reduction of bugs and blockers in terms of technical deliverables
- Increase in technologies explored and understood / mastered
- Increase in visibility and reputation for excellent work amongst peers and seniors within the business
- Growth in reputation of the brand for digital immersive experiences
Burberry is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.
Posting Notes: United Kingdom || Not Applicable || London || IT || DIGITAL || n/a ||